Default Busy Week in Central Michigan!

Received a call Tuesday from a lady looking for some to get a swarm out of a tree in yard. Went over that evening and caught a Large swarm from a branch about 20 feet up. Luckily she did not mind me cutting the branch they were clustered on. That went pretty well only spilled a few. Most of the rest entered the box and I closed the up at dark and came home. The next morning put them into the hive, there were so many bees I had to use two deeps to fit them all with frames. So far so good. Thursday a friend called and said they had a swarm moving into the roof-attic of their sauna, wanted to know if I wanted them. Friday morning picked up a buddy to help and went over. The bees had started to move into the attic space so we had to remove a piece of plywood siding at the peak to get at them. It was a good time to try out my new home-made Bee-Vac. 45 minutes later had most of the bees caught, left until that evening and came back and caught the last couple hundred. They are all in their new hive too, and seem to be adjusting nicely. I liked using the Vac, I think with a couple minor modifications I will like it a lot.

Default Re: Busy Week in Central Michigan!

Sounds like you had fun and have a few bees for your effort.

We too had a Busy week. Lady called who I have been working on a trap out. She said she thinks the bees have moved. Well they had swarmed and landed in a Peach tree. My wife and I got them into a box and headed home. Got home and was working on frames. Took a walk out side and saw a swarm going into a bait box.

Glad to hear your news too.

My hive swarmed this morning, so yeah it's swarm season in Michigan.... Last I saw they were about 50 ft up a neighbors pine tree.... with any luck they'll come down to where I can get them...

Darb, 50 feet! Wow, that is a long way up. 20 feet is enough for me when hanging onto a branch full of bees. Hope you can entice the down.
    Both batches I got last week are doing really well, I think they like it here.
    Good Luck with your swarm.
    Chuck

I got a call today from someone monitoring one of my bait hives in the Waterford, MI area. two scout bees were spotted checking it out, so something is, or will be, swarming there. I got one swarm a week ago in Midland, MI to move into a bait hive. So, it seems as though we're in the season for it. up to middle Michigan. I haven't read anything about activity above the 45th parallel line.