Default Queen not laying and it's been a while since the beepocalypse....

On 5/21 we had a swarm and lost about 1/2 our hive along with our queen. We still had ~8,000 bees left and some supercedure cells at the ready to we decided to let our hive raise a new queen.

Fast Forward 8 days (5/30) and we found a skinny queen on one of the frames....sadly we then got a lot of rain and I doubt that she had a chance to mate.

Fast forward 13 days (6/13) and we don't see her so we order a new queen. Then the next day when we go to put the queen in, we find the old queen and she is much fatter. We decide to split the hive and use the new queen in a separate hive. Queen was installed in Benton box on 6/14.

Checked to see and queen was released and accepted on 6/19. Fast forward to today 6/24, and she is still in there but I see no eggs or brood present.

I know it hasn't been a week but I'm worried that our bees are too old and incapable of rearing new brood. I have been feeding 1:1 sugar syrup since she was installed on 6/14.

Anyone out there with advice or (hopefully) reassurance?

Default Re: Queen not laying and it's been a while since the beepocalypse....

Did they have drawn comb? It is possible she just hasn't started to lay yet, but more possible that you just didn't see the eggs. New eggs are very difficult to see. Give her time (and peace and quiet) to get going.

Can you donate a frame of brood WITH nurse bee's to the struggling colony? It wouldn't hurt.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenseye View Post
    Can you donate a frame of brood WITH nurse bee's to the struggling colony? It wouldn't hurt.
    Sadly the neither hive has new brood yet. I was planning on giving her another week undisturbed and then check again...

Should I still continue to feed? I have a 1:1 sugar syrup jar over part of the hole on the inside cover surrounded by a small super.... I am assuming they can use this to draw comb (which they have, albeit only a softball size in one new frame) but was wondering if having some of the bees go forage would be better than letting them be lazy

Thoughts?