Hybrid View

Default Extraction advice

I have about 12 frames to extract, completely full, then I have another 6 or so that are almost full. Could I cut out the parts that haven't been sealed yet? And still have the right moisture content, I hope to enter it in the Cuyahoga Fair. I won first place last year ( beginers luck). Thanks for your help Rhonda

Default Re: Extraction advice

Mix the fully capped and not fully capped frames into the same extractor and your honey should be of a fine moisture content. My general rule is that if 75% (more or less) of all of the combs on average are capped then the moisture content will be fine.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

I agree with you Mark, but she's entering her honey in competition.....

Why not extract the capped fames first, then the partially capped frames. Keep the batches separate, and enter the honey from the capped frames into the competition?
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Why not extract the capped fames first, then the partially capped frames. Keep the batches separate, and enter the honey from the capped frames into the competition?
    What's the diff. Other than the presence or absence of caps?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

if you really want fancy top notch honey, place the partially full frames in the extractor first. Do Not remove the caps. extract the uncapped nectar. drain the extractor, you can feed the nectar back to the bees. then extract the honey. this is how we do it all the time. we never have to evaporate stock, and feel it is that little extra that sets us apart. Good luck at the fair. let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    I agree with you Mark, but she's entering her honey in competition.....
    How does extracting all the honey together or seperating capped from partially uncapped effect the quality of the end product and its entrance into competition? I have never entered honey into competition that I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    How does extracting all the honey together or seperating capped from partially uncapped effect the quality of the end product and its entrance into competition?
    Does not affect the quality at all in MHO, however the judges look for moisture content. Basically, the lower the better...

I agree with Mark, just because the honey is uncapped doesn't mean that it isn't competition quality honey. I know there are a few people out there who think that uncapped honey, I mean nectar, is not fully ripened and is only worth feeding back to the bees. I guess I should have fed 80% of my honey crop last year back to the bees then because I harvested it with only about 20% capped. Why? Well because it was so dry a year that the honey came in at about 14%-16% moisture uncapped. Why wait till its all capped? That honey was competition grade honey even though I didn't enter it. John

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Does not affect the quality at all in MHO, however the judges look for moisture content. Basically, the lower the better...
    So, 16.5 gets you more points than 17? Is that right? Wonder why?