Default Question about hive top feeder???

I currently have two growing hives and having been feeding them 1:1 sugar syrup for a little over a month. I suspect that I will be adding a second deep by the end of this week as nearly 7-8 frames are drawn out. I had been using a Boardman feeder for the sugar syrup, but have since found out that using this feeder could promote robbing. I purchased two hive top feeders from Walter T Kelley this morning, along with a ventilation rim as it is pretty hot here right now.

My question is, should I continue feeding until the 2nd deep is nearly drawn out with these hive top feeders? In what configuration should I use the feeder, with or without the inner cover, ventilation rim?

Im pretty sure we have a flow going on right now as the clover is blooming pretty well and the blackberries I have around my property are starting to bloom as well.

Thanks for any advice!!

Default Re: Question about hive top feeder???

Not sure how that hive top feeder works, but the ones I have are the innercover as well. I would think you would remove the innercover in lieu of the feeder. Feeding all depends on your goal. If you like them filling up frames with syrup go ahead, personally if there's a flow on, I let them do it naturally. Just make sure they have the population for the second box. Having a bunch of frames of syrup and empty comb means nothing w/o 6-7 frames of brood ready to hatch. Personally, when I get a new nuc or swarm, they get a honey frame, a pollen frame, some drawn comb if available, and if they're lucky a 1/2 liter of syrup to get going. After that, they're on their own. We don't have monster flows but bees can usually find enough to build up.

We have a new hive which we started this year in May. The package of bees we received had quite a few dead but felt we could build their numbers up and went for it anyway. We started with the top feeder and switched to the Boardman feeder after two weeks. I like the Boardman due to being able to see what their needs are and refill when needed. No problem with robbing thus far in part due to the cut down entrance reducer in place. Since it is a weak hive to begin with, I plan to keep feeding 1:1 sugar mix until they stop taking it. As of Sunday they only had six of the 10 frames with comb but are now increasing in colony size each week. Won't be long until we will also need to add another deep.
    ----
    Joe

This season I've provided water saucers nearby and haven't fed any of my 6 nucs. They're growing like gangbusters.