Default In need of good book for beginner

I would like to buy a good book on the basics of beekeeping. Basically one that explains everything I need to know in detail. And gives explanations for why to do it this way. I'm very new and have a lot of questions. Thank you.

Default Re: In need of good book for beginner

Check out Micheal Bush, he has written some good books and has a great website.

welcome 21.

i agree with ben that mike bush's book and website are about as good as it gets, and i have probably gleaned more useful information from them than any one source.

what i think you will find with beekeeping however, is that it won't be possible to find everything you need in just one place.

more than anything this is one of those things that you have to learn by doing.

this forum is a great resource for getting information and advice from a lot of very experienced and knowledgeable beekeepers.

you can ask questions, post pictures, present problems ect., but don't be surprised if you get different and sometimes conflicting advice!

don't be afraid to try out your own ideas and see what happens, that's a big part of the fun.

and when it comes to making mistakes, embrace them as valuable lessons learned and feel good that you have become a better beekeeper because of them.

good luck!
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I read and re read Michael Bush's "The Practical Bee Keeper" Great! I was very interested in top bars so I also read Wyatt Magnum's "Top-Bar Hive Beekeeping: Wisdom and Pleasure Combined" I feel both are great resources and use them often as reference material.

Square peg seems to be correct in that information you want is not contained in one text.

In addition to those already mentioned, I like an older version (38th Edition) of ABC and XYZ of Bee Culture. I think there is a much more recent edition. It more like an encylopedia of information.

I have purchased numerous books and all have been benefical. As a beginner i would recommend "first lessons in beekeeping" by dadant. It is around $9. I think thats the name. It has lots of pictures and explains the basic very well. "The hive and honeybee" is good too. It is around $35-$40, but is good and is like the beekeeping bible to me.

Backyard Beekeeping by Kim Flottam, was a great book and very easy to read and understand. Beekeeping For Dummmies, First Lessons In Beekeeping also good books.

In addition to good ones cited, I appreciated how Storey's Guide to Keeping Honey Bees provides insight into different practices by region. Helps a beginner understand why so many different/seemingly contrary approaches to the same issue.

My step daughter gave me "The Beekeeper's Bible" for an early father's day present. Now I have to read the words instead of looking at all the pictures and illustrations.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Michael Bush's book/website is very good. Also, I thought "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping" was good.

I'm sure many of the recommended sources/books discuss the honey flow but it would be worth noting that keeping a record of the honey flow sources in your part of the woods will help you develop a sense of what and how the bees are responding to the conditions and weather. It definitely takes a few cycles and seasons to get your activities coordinated to the conditions around you.

Observation is probable your most important beekeeper trait and persistence as the weather is very good at throwing curve balls no matter how much experience one may have. If you're not sure what to do and no help is available then let the bees determine the best course and watch and learn.

Chris