Thread: Bee sting

Default Bee sting

New beek with dumb question.

Yesterday I got my fourth bee sting. I'm in my 50s and have never been allergic to anything. This sting site has puffed up my arm for about 6 inches and itches like hell.

That's the background now the question. It seems that I'm getting more sensitive to each sting (over about a month and half). What do I need to do to de-synthesize myself?

Default Re: Bee sting

Quote Originally Posted by nobull56 View Post

Yesterday I got my fourth bee sting. I'm in my 50s and have never been allergic to anything. This sting site has puffed up my arm for about 6 inches and itches like hell.

That's the background now the question. It seems that I'm getting more sensitive to each sting (over about a month and half). What do I need to do to de-synthesize myself?
    Stinging and swelling.... sounds normal. Means you are not allergic. Not sure you ever get desensitized.... unless you mean "used to it". Trying to pull that stinger out a lttle quicker might help....
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

If they seem to be getting worse it might be worth a call to the dr to see what they recommend. I'm a new bee haver and I got a few stings that didn't result in much and then the other day half my face swelled up. No breathing problems or hives other times but definitely something I will bring up with the doc when I see them next....

No 2 stings are the same got one sting on my finger and swelled like crazy , took 6 on my hand in the area the size of a dime and it barely swelled at all the think to watch for are hives and any tightness in your chest or throat but don't take our word we are not your Dr if you feel concerned in the least bit its worth the price of an office visit

knock on wood i sting my wrist and hands and have never swelled took a hit to the noes and never swelled just lucky i quess

I know this sounds silly, but the device below has helped my stings tremendously. I swell up really bad, but if I use the suction within a few minutes of getting stung, its not near as bad. Doesn't cure it, but its more like an ant bite. Good luck

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-B4-Extr...actor+pump+kit

Harley called it about right, every sting is different, different amounts of venom (depending on how long it takes to get stinger out), different locations of sting. Sometimes I even think the strength of the venom is different from one bee to another. I've been keeping bees for most my life (and I'm old) and I still swell up to a degree, sometimes quite a bit depending on all the things I listed above. Just be concerned about the serious side effects that Harley mentioned. John

Take you a good dose of liquid Benadryl or other antihistamine about 30 minutes before working your hives. It works well when I remember to take it.

I believe each bee has a different potency. Also, it seems that if they happened to pin you at a certain nerve center, it hurts more and swells more. I had 4 stings on my left forearm, and it itched but didn't swell much. I got one on a finger a number of weeks ago, and it felt like someone cut my finger off. Then, it swelled clear up into my arm. I even removed the stinger quickly and in the proper method; scraping it out without squeezing more venom into myself. Sometimes it is just different.
    I think the "getting used to it" idea may be more about not being intimidated by the sting anymore. Therefore, the sting does not affect a person like it used to. Stings sting, but life goes on. I agree with the others though, if you are not certain that you are allergic, get checked out.
    No one famous.

One very important point about pulling out stingers. Don't ever do it. I did it once. All you do when you grab it is squeeze all the venom from the venom sac. So you end up giving yourself a full dose. The worse reaction I have ever had was from that one sting where I reached down and pulled it out. Use the sharp edge of your hive tool and scrape it across the area with the stinger. That will pull it out without squeezing the venom sac.

If you pulled it out your worse reaction may be because you grabbed it and gave yourself a full dose.

I was stung 65 times in one event no big reaction. But that one stinger I pulled with my fingers was bad!
    Old Guy in Alabama

Thanks everyone, this sting was on the crease of skin between my wrist and arm. Scraped sting immediately so I did not think I had much venom.

I received as many as 30 stings at once years ago. No reactions no signs of allergies. This one little sting has puffed my forearm up about eight or 9 inches from my wrist.

I am determined to become a Beek and not just a haver.

Howdy from Texas nobull!

I signed up for the forum just because of your question. I'm not yet a beek but have ordered hives, tools, veil, etc... and will try my hand at it after I retire in a couple of months. Presently I am a registered nurse and can tell you that one is not normally born allergic to anything but will develop allergies after enough exposure to an allergen. For instance, I was nearly forty years old before I became allergic to poison ivy. Now I am so allergic to it that I can spot it twenty feet before I get to it. If a person has the tendency to be allergic to an allergen and is exposed to it enough times, a reaction will result with every subsequent exposure.

As someone mentioned, benadryl may help if taken prior to exposure but that can make some people drowsy. If you want to know for sure about being allergic or not, have your doctor check you for it. I'm not absolutely sure but I don't think one can de-sensitize to stings, at least not if it is an allergen for them.

Another thing I heard about removing stingers is something I heard the Fat Bee Man say in a podcast. That is that wiping the stung area with a 100% cotton shirt will remove the stinger without sqeezing more venom from the stinger. It seems 100% cotton catches the barb on the stinger and removes the stinger as the cotton wipes across it. Polyester won't do that.

Last edited by dandeman; 06-24-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks Dande, I thought that peps could 'become' allergic. But then I thought that you can do something to overcome your reaction. Seems like some food folks start with supper small doses of their sensitivity allergen and can somehow overcome or become desensitized.

My Beemaster claims that he used to be allergic and has gotten so many stings is allergy just gave up!

This sounded like a sea story!

Quote Originally Posted by dandeman View Post
    As someone mentioned, benadryl may help if taken prior to exposure but that can make some people drowsy.
    Yup, I'm that "some people"... Can't stand taking it and only take it when needed. Standard dose makes me tired and I have to take a nap 30 minutes after taking it. Ended up having to take it today because of an exposure hives issue which itched like heck. Dog flea shampoo I used on four dogs yesterday evening. Bah.

At any rate, since there are no non drowsy Benadryl (all of it passes the blood/brain barrier), I'll be using Zyrtec AS NEEDED for stings. Like the two I received under my eye a week ago when I really really don't want swelling.

Thanks Dande, I thought that peps could 'become' allergic. But then I thought that you can do something to overcome your reaction. Seems like some food folks start with supper small doses of their sensitivity allergen and can somehow overcome or become desensitized.

My Beemaster claims that he used to be allergic and has gotten so many stings is allergy just gave up!

This sounded like a sea story!
    You might try immediately applying benadryl cream to stings when they occur, that might help lessen the hypersensitive immune response to bee venom without causing drowsiness. When I was young, the old folks claimed putting tobacco spittle from chewing tobacco on a sting would remove the "poison" from wasp stings.

Hopefully, it is possible to desensitize oneself to bee stings, but that goes against my medical training. But then again, scientific thought can prove that it's impossible for a bumble bee to fly, and some scientific folks still believe in evolution though it was never anything more than a theory that a man with a grudge against his former religion came up with. Not that you haven't used it, but local honey has helped me and many others with allergic reactions to pollen.

Quote Originally Posted by dandeman View Post
    When I was young, the old folks claimed putting tobacco spittle from chewing tobacco on a sting would remove the "poison" from wasp stings.
    That works! I got lit up last year when I hopped into our Polaris Ranger and didn't notice a wasp nest on the roof right behind my shoulder. 2 or 3 wasps got me right above my shoulder blade (bee stings are a tickle, compared to those darn wasps!). One of my hunting buddies put some "chaw" on it and it really helped take the edge off of the pain.