Default Todays Inspection

Ok, I started two nucs this year, one 8 frame in late April, and a 16 frame in late May. I was worried about the newer hive, but it really looks pretty good. The older hive is an 8 frame with two deeps and 2 med supers. The newer hive is 10 frame with 3 mediums. a few pictures.

This is an outsdie frame in the 1st super. The girls are working hard on honey and this hive seems to like to make honey

Pretty good brood pattern in two different frames. I do not see any eggs, but there is a lot of open brood and I am not in either lower super where the queen is probably working.

Here is a frame from the older hive from the super right above the two deeps. This hive seems to like making brood. The girls do not want to fill the top super with just foundation, so I moved two frames of pure honey to the top super to see if I could generate some interest. Wait a minute........who is that big boy that did not wear his big bulky gloves today?

I am pleased overall and the hives look pretty good. Anybody see anything I should be scared of? I also really enjoy walking around the neighborhood looking at all the pollen and nectar generators. Today I noticed the chestnut trees next door and they are COVERED in 6-8" long flowers that are covered in pollen. On a sunny day like today, I literally see hundreds of bees working on these trees. The clover has been out for a few weeks. My wife keeps wondering why I am not mowing the yard more. The house next door, 5 acres, is vacant but the lawn service mows it regularly. There is probably a full acre of clover. The bass wood trees just finished and before that my two 100' tulip poplars bloomed for weeks. I have to assume that July will slow down, maybe someone local could comment. There is 100 acres of soybeans about 1/2 a mile away. They may be July flowers.

One of the girls working the clover.

What a nice day, I have to go outside to look at them some more.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hautions11; 06-24-2013 at 04:56 AM.

Default Re: Todays Inspection

In looking at my pictures I have another question. Since my 10 frame hive has 3 mediums, will the bees store honey there as the brood numbers decrease later in the year? I see a lot of open cells in a few of the frames where brood has hatched and it appears there is more un capped honey around the capped brood.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hautions11; 06-24-2013 at 04:15 AM.

I think I am the only one interested in this thread and that is a bit sad! I want to add a honey super next week, but I am not sure this late if it is worth it? Thanks

I would probably add a super anyways. They are going to ignore it if they don't need it.

You seem to be 2-3 hours south of me, so you might be a little late, but if the bees are actively working the chestnuts, I would add a super now, so they don't crowd out the broodnest.

And yes, they will fill any empties in the brrodnest as the queen slows down for winter with honey.

Not at all the only one interested. Just not sure that my input is helpful, so best wishes! The timing question of if it's worth it is quite pertinent, since many may be starting later than expected this season, and therefore asking same/similar questions about drawing out boxes, etc.

thank you great input

I was in Tarre Haute once , and all I can say it was cooooooooooooold !!!!! What are your ideas on keeping the girls warm this winter . Woke up the one morn. we were there and the temp was 1 degree above zero !!!!!!!!

I always considered our weather mild here. If it gets real cold, I could always bring them inside I will throw a super on hive #2 this week as some of the local experienced beeks say everything is running a couple of weeks late. My neighborhood seems to run late even compared to the rest of our town. It is an old neighborhood with lots of trees and in the spring I first mow my grass two weeks later then everyone else. I'll keep my fingers crossed.