Default How Late is to Late to Make Splits

OK again I need advice, opinions, or anything anyone cares to offer. How late would you consider to be to late to make splits or requeen in my area which is Northwest North Carolina. I have a couple hives that the queen just isn't doing anything. I killed one off yesterday and am gonna try to let them make their own but I got 2 more nucs that just are not doing much at all, maximum of 1 and a half frames or brood at different stages. Thanks for any help

Default Re: How Late is to Late to Make Splits

Consider fall swarm dates for your area. and that will tell you how late in the year you can do a split, or requeen a hive. you should have no trouble with splits done up to early September, feed them well and they should build and have adequate stores. when I lived in Princess Anne county Va. I did splits in September and they wintered Okay. but let me say that was 30+ years ago, before we had all this crap with bees going on.

Hi, this is my second post here and im a new beekeeper so here is an idea take it how you will. Its will be 30+ days before your queenless hive will have a laying queen, and that is only if everything goes as planed. So some thirty or fourty days from now that hive can start building for the winter. The later in summer you try and do this the less time and stores will be buildt up. Now everything being local to your enviornment will they make it this way...or requeen with a proven laying queen and havel 30 or 40 extra days to build up for winter. As i said, im a new beekeeper i did some walk away splits early june, first peak for a laying queen is july 5; first frost maybe oct 10. I am doing some other splits between now and july 5 but those will be with introduced proven laying queens. When i see stores slow down, im already ready to feed if need be, right now there is a good flow. Goodluck and the stronger into winter the better.

Don't count on having much more comb than you already have come winter if you are trying to make increase. That said, a brand new queen that starts laying around September 1st can do wonders for your fall build up. Also the late summer brood break is good for varroa mitigation.

But, in my limited experience after some time in August you should be thinking about the possible need to combine hives instead of splitting them. Take your losses in the fall - the earlier you do the less effort you will waste messing with weak hives.

Brushy is just up the road from you maybe they have a queen then you get twice the laying power from a split with new laying queen, then you can combine after you kill the old queen and make a power house hive for the flow to build up for winter. I would probably feed to stimulate comb production. Doeboy

Sounds like some great points, I did fail to mention I have tons of drawn comb ready for laying or filling since I lost 10 hives this past season.

My Thanks again everyone

Quote Originally Posted by poppy1 View Post
    Sounds like some great points, I did fail to mention I have tons of drawn comb ready for laying or filling since I lost 10 hives this past season.

My Thanks again everyone
    I'm in the same situation you are in: lost 15 out of 20 hives. I plan to do lot's of splits once I have robbed the honey. (The flow is still going on somewhat. I think it's clover because of all the rain we've had.)

Quote Originally Posted by poppy1 View Post
    OK again I need advice, opinions, or anything anyone cares to offer. How late would you consider to be to late to make splits or requeen in my area which is Northwest North Carolina. I have a couple hives that the queen just isn't doing anything. I killed one off yesterday and am gonna try to let them make their own but I got 2 more nucs that just are not doing much at all, maximum of 1 and a half frames or brood at different stages. Thanks for any help
    Are you into your derth period yet? Don't you want a queen that isn't laying much at this time?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

You could use the drawn frames in your 10 hives to make frames of capped brood, which you can then use to reinforce your nucs.