Default Freezing Drone Brood

How long do you keep the frames in the freezer to kill the mites?
    Thanks

Default Re: Freezing Drone Brood

24 hours will be fine to freeze.

Also, some beeks say they spray off the caps of drone brood with a water hose and wash out the mites and brood from the cells. Saves the hive a lot of work and perhaps time vs. freezing.
    Blue Sky Bee Supply
    Quality Bee Supplies, Bees and Containers!

I just did this last week. I froze them for 48 hrs. Then let them warm about 6 hours or so before uncapping the cells and returning them to the hive. It took about a day to evict most of the drone brood. Admazing how fast they work.

I use a wire brush on the cappings while the comb is still frozen, then put it back for the pupa to be removed. I think that 48 hours works better than the usually recommended 24 hours to kill the mites.

3 weeks - have 2 frames for every hive. That way there is always a drone board in the hive. Have next to no mites//last fall the provincial inspector said our count was the lowest he has ever seen.

I freeze them for a day and then take them out the night before I want to deal with them. After that, I use a scratcher turned over and run it across the brood caps. It pulls most of the caps off and the brood out. I pop the frame back in and the bees take care of the rest.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"