Sad Hairclip Queen Cage - Queen Got Stung

A good friend and fellow beekeeper gave me a hair clip queen cage. When he inspects, and finds the queen, he puts her in that and sets her on top of the frames so that he knows where she is, then releases her when he's done. Seems to make sense.

So I was needing to move a couple of frames to another hive, so I thought it would be a perfect time to use the clip.

All was well until I went to release her and realized a bee had stung her through the cage - had ahold of her throught the "bars" and had the stinger into her from outside the cage. I figure it must've been a bee from another hive.

Totally bummed about losing that queen. I won't be using the clip in that way again...

Adam

Default Re: Hairclip Queen Cage - Queen Got Stung

Adam,
    unless I am marking or moving a queen to another hive I see no need to catch her every time I inspect. If a need arises to isolate the queen then just leave her on the frame and set it aside from the others. As for your queen's death the clip might have had pheromones on it from another queen triggering the attack.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by WWW View Post
    ...As for your queen's death the clip might have had pheromones on it from another queen triggering the attack.
    That's a good point. Possible.

Adam

That stinks. But yet another reason that you should always try to keep some spare queens in nucs at all times.

If you want to isolate the queen during a hive inspection, you could just place the frame she's on in a nuc box with the entrance closed. Once you're done, just place the frame back.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org