Default Swarm distance????

I was wondering in general how far a swarm will travel. I just captured a swarm this morning (my first one!!) and it was located in the middle of a very large privately owned tract of land (thousands of acres). If swarms don't travel to far from the parent hive, could these be survivor/feral bees as they say? I hived them right after capture and did not look for the queen, I figured I would do that in a day or so and see what she looked like. Any thought would be helpfully!

Default Re: Swarm distance????

Swarms do not generally travel to far from the parent hive before gathering in a resting place. But there are often bee keepers with close proximity of other and it is not realized. Then again there are often wild hives close by too. within 1/2 mile of my main apiary I know of 4 wild hives. and have trapped swarms from them all. in either case you have them now. it matters not what their lineage is.

I wish I could find the wild hive that is near me, I have had three or four swarms from the same area north east of my hives. But I am not able to walk far and none of the hunters have ever seen a wild hive.

I have a buddy that is a deer nerd. he spends 5 to 7 hours in the woods every day. I mean 365 days a year. setting up trail cameras, trimming old apple trees, shed hunting, you name it. If you have any good deer hunting land near you I may be able to get him interested in your woods. I must warn you he spends most of his time looking at the ground. Tracks, sheds, scraped, they all seem to be his primary focus.

I'm late replying, but anyway, , ,
    I lured 2 swarms this year. I don't know the source of the first one (and I think its nearby because for 3 consecutive years a swarm came to the same hollow tree) but the second swarm left its hive and flew about 100 yards to its resting tree and then flew another 100 yards to the lure it accepted. That second swarm stayed in its tree nearly a whole week and stayed there through a heavy rainstorm. They made 3 lobes of comb while they were in the tree.
    bnt
    Let's turn it around
    America Bless God

Although I've been told that swarms may travel a good distance before congregating...they usually, in my experience, first come to a rest within sight of the parent colony.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

If you mean their first bivouac, that's usually in a tree within sight of the hive.

If you mean where they end up, I don't have it in front of me to quote exactly, but it seems like Seeley in Honey Bee Democracy said between 100 yards and 7 miles. In my experience they usually move about a quarter mile.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF