Thread: Is it SHB?

Hybrid View

Question Is it SHB?

When inspecting my hive today, I decided to take a look at the plastic board underneath the screened bottom board. I didn't see any mites (thank God) but i did see some larvae that wasn't bees. I assume it was SHB. There wasn't much from what i saw. All of the larvae was 1/8"-1/4" long and was white. These bees have been treatment free for over 5 years and I want to keep it that way. Any advice on how to take care of this or if I should do anything at all.
    I don't have any pictures of the larvae, sorry. But here is a picture of a frame of brood from my newly mated queen if it will help.
    http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/sp...tml?sort=3&o=1
    Last edited by spudrocket; 06-23-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: adding pictures
    Potato Guns shouldn't be illegal in Texas!

Default Re: Is it SHB?

They might be wax moth larvae. If you didn't see any inside the hive when doing your inspection, wax moths would be my guess. If you leave the corrugated plastic sheet beneath the screened bottom it allows wax moths a place to freely lay eggs...and those larvae seem to survive on dropped pollen and other debris.
    Why do you have the sheet in this time of year?
    PS I never see varroa on mine either, unless I coat it with Pam or something sticky.....and my hives have plenty of mites. Zero mites on a nonsticky sheet means doodly.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I have the sheet underneath the hive because it came with the sheet, didn't know better. So you're saying that if I just remove the plastic then the hive will be fine?
    Potato Guns shouldn't be illegal in Texas!

Quote Originally Posted by spudrocket View Post
    So you're saying that if I just remove the plastic then the hive will be fine?
    I have no way to know if there is anything else going on in your hive. I would not dare suggest that removing the sheet will result in your hive being fine.
    I am saying that the sheet does not need to be in place this time of year and if left in place can add to any other problems the hive may have.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards