Default Caught queen - swarm left

Yesterday I caught a hive in mid-swarm. The air and front of the hive was full of bees and there were masses on the ground. I was watching all this activity when I spotted the queen running around amidst the bees on the ground. I caught her and a few bees in a jar. I transferred her to a queen cage. By this time the swarm had settled high in a birch across the street. I put the queen and a frame of brood and bees from the hive into a new hive with undrawn foundation.

The swarm has since disappeared. I'm curious as to what may have or may yet happen. Will the swarm continue without a queen? Could there have been another queen associated with the swarm? Could they return when the excitement dies down and they discover they are queenless?

Many thanks.

Default Re: Caught queen - swarm left

I don't think they would have left without a queen. They probably had a virgin queen with them. Could it be that you caught a virgin queen, and they left with the old queen? Because I really don't think they would have clustered in the tree without having the queen in the cluster, and the old queen usually flies from the hive to a nearby tree or other structure. I doubt she would have been down in the grass unless you knocked her down someway.

Some after swarms have more then one queen. If they didn't have a queen they would have gone right back into the hive they left.
    Dan

It could be that I caught a virgin queen. All I know is that I was looking into the mass of bees and there was this queen, virgin or not. I will say that when I put the queen cage with her near the remaining mass of bees she only attracted a small number of workers to her. I was expecting a big pig pile of bees around the cage. So maybe it was a virgin in which case I suppose I should let her out of the cage to go get busy.