Default Cleaning/Screening Pollen

I started trapping pollen due to customers who kept asking me for local pollen. The trapped pollen has some trash in it, a few SHB larvae here and there, and I would like some way to clean it. Kelley's sells a pollen cleaner. The two beekeepers who own one say it doesn't work very well. I'm thinking about a screen of some sort but not sure what size or if there is a better way.

Any ideas?

I tried searching the archives, even with the advanced search, but seemed to find all the posts that didn't apply to cleaning pollen.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Default Re: Cleaning/Screening Pollen

To search this site, I use Google. Type in the search term, followed by the string site:beesource.com. So, for example "cleaning pollen site:beesource.com" This will guide Google to return results that are within the beesource domain. You will also receive additional hits, but the Beesource threads should be among the first several listed in the results.
    Pete. New 2013, 7 hives, zone 6a
    To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous.

> Type in the search term, followed by the string site:beesource.com.

Or you can just use the Google Custom Search on the left side of the Beesource home page, here:

http://www.beesource.com/

Here is a thread with useful info:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...cessing-Pollen
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Grant, what kind of trap are you using, a bottom mount? I have a Sundance top mount which I have used, and the pollen comes out real clean. If you are getting that much trash in your pollen its probably a bottom mount I'm guessing. I think if you ran your pollen through a screen size just under the normal pollen granule size it would get 95% of the junk out. Or, you could change to a different trap, like I said a top mount is good, or even an entrance mounted one. I built my own entrance traps last year from scratch, and they worked better than the Sundance with amount of pollen trapped every day, no kidding, and the pollen was clean as can be. John

Hmmm, Shb larvae. Higher protein pollen. Maybe a new marketable product - you never know. We have "Raw, Unfiltered Honey" - why not "Raw Uncleaned Pollen?" or "Pollen straight From the Beehive?" I, too use Sundance top mounted traps and my pollen is usually extremely clean, requiring little or no cleaning whatsoever. If any cleaning is necessary, I just pick whatever is in it out with tweezers or fan off any fine stuff by pouring pollen from a container into a bowl in front of a fan on low. The more you have to clean it or deal with it any other manner, the more you should charge for it. I sell mine for $19.00 per lb.
    His Hive Honey Farm - Do all for His glory!

old ish thread, but what do you do if small ants, like sugar ants get into the trap/tray?

I pick SHB out, but those ants are a P.I.T.A
    My wife says I have ADD, but, hey look- a chicken!