Thread: Caught a swarm

Default Caught a swarm

Put this box out thursday with a few drops of lemon grass oil and today when I walked out back I seen a lot of activity. I did check my hives and its not from them. I'm pretty much in the middle of blueberry country here so I'd be willing to bet it came from one of them. I had a small honey super that had a rotted out section so I cut it down and made this box. It has 7 frames in it. No drawn foundation. Checked on them every so often and there is plenty of activity. I took a peek in the hole and it looks like a good number of bees. Should I leave it set a couple days before closing it up and putting it in a deep? Figured I might as well get use out of the tree stand now.
    Here's a couple pictures.

Default Re: Caught a swarm

Leave it for a few days

Will do. Thanks

Great job. Congrats.
    No one famous.

Thanks but they did all the work I had the easy part

I put a 5 frame nuk out earlier in the week and today there is a small colony--looks to be moved in, they are guarding the (reduced) entrance. Once I see the pollen coming in I then count it in to my swarm catches for the year. Tempted, but I didn't lift the lid to see the size. I'm judging by the in and out at the entrance that it's small. I'm wondering if it's an afterswarm from one of my hives that swarmed, which is why I put out the bait box.
    Yup, this is the easiest way to get bees.
    Congratulations.
    "Rule Three of beekeeping...Never cease to feel wonder" Laurie R. King--
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Cool! I use my treestands for the same thing. Haven't caught one yet though.

The few times I was watching them yesterday I was looking for pollen though wasn't really close enough to see. Camera got the close up view. The stand is in the middle of a wild raspberry patch and I didn't feel like going back to the house to put long pants on.

I agree with Bevy, leave it for a few days to get them established. I have caught 14 swarms this year with boxes similar to yours and a friend of mine has caught 30. Deer stands are a great place to put them but after trapping this year, I probably wont put them in stands again. All my stands are 14 ft tall and it made it difficult to get them closed up at night and get the box down. I always wait until they start bringing in pollen. Usually that means that you have some eggs being laid by the queen. If they have eggs and start storing nectar they are established in their new home. A friend of mine took some of his down after the swarm being in a day and a few of them ended up leaving entirely. This is my first year trapping swarms and it has been fun. Learned alot of do's and don'ts. Good luck!

Much appreciated. This stand is only about 7' up. The other one is in the 12' - 14' range and a larger box. I may build another small one for that stand. Didn't really think much about the taking down part. Should be easy to close up though with how its sitting on it.
    Thanks for the insight and I sure wouldn't mind hearing about some of your other do's n don'ts.

The way I ended up getting the rest of mine down after the first couple ones was with rope. I configured rope around the box, pretty much like my wife places ribbon around a present, and then lowered it down to the ground. Just be sure to have rope tight on the box and balanced. I had a few turn up on there side when lowering.
    I now use deep box traps with 10 frames. I put atleast one dark drawn out comb on one side. All the rest of the frames have no foundation or sometimes I place a small strip of new foundation across the top. This gives them something to work with. I started with just one dark foundation frame and three or four empty frames but my first swarm I caught began drawing comb off the lid of the trap so I started to put 10 frames. Once a transfer the swarm to a hive, I gradually work the trap frames out and give them good frames. I reuse the swarm trap frames. I figured this would give a more natural and bee smell for the bees to be attracted to.
    I caught 6 or 7 swarms in my stands but all the rest have been in traps 6foot high or less. I caught two swarms in traps where the trap was just sitting on a concrete block. Height may be a factor and higher may be better but I found this year that any height can bring success.
    Some say to put a new trap out in the same spot when you move the caught swarm but I dont do that. They say that there is a good chance of catching another one in the same spot but I dont want to deplete the wild hives. I will put a trap back in the same place next year but not repeatitive in one year.
    I also have a 2 inch hole in the bottom of my traps with screen over it. I do this for ventilation. Especially in my area the humidity and temperature can become grusome.
    I had one swarm I caught that was huge. The trap was full and the outside of the trap had bees covering it and hanging about a foot down. I was brain locked of what to do but I ended up taking another old deep box with old frames and placed it on top of the first deep a couple of screws and strips of wood and then screwed top second deep. So I ended up with a double deep swarm trap.
    My friend has found success in placing his traps in the window of old houses. We have a big rural area in my part of nc and old fallen down house seem to be scattered around in the edge of woods.
    If you place traps out be sure to have extra equipment ready. I put out 10 traps this spring in hopes of catching 3 or 4. I ended up with 14. All 10 i put out first had a swarm within the first 3 weeks and stupid me put 4 of them back out. The cost of equipment for new hives and fast assemble caught me off guard.
    I had good success this year with mine but next year may be a totally different story. They say the number of swarms change from year to year. Good luck and anything else I can help with, l let me know.

Much appreciated. I've heard about using drawn out comb. I've only had bees for 5 weeks and don't have any that's not in use but will definately save some for future. That small box is from a small honey super. 4 of the 7 frames have a small strip of foundation at the top. The rest are bare. I have deeps to make 2 more starter hives. Planning on getting more frames tomorrow. Just bought about 15 used medium supers so I'm good there for a little while. Actually wasn't expecting to have residence in only 2 days so it kinda caught me off guard.
    I was wondering about how to add ventilation to that small one so I will be putting a hole in the bottom with screen once I transfer this swarm over. Good idea. The large swarm box has an inner cover with screen over the hole.
    Again, much thanks.

Went out and watched them for a little while and they are bringing in pollen. Guess that's a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by bassbee View Post
    I put out 10 traps this spring in hopes of catching 3 or 4. I ended up with 14. All 10 i put out first had a swarm within the first 3 weeks and stupid me put 4 of them back out.
    That's incredible! Way to go.

I put out four or five traps two years in a row and got jack squat.

It must have been luck. I used old equipment and a little lemon grass oil. All the swarms i caught were in april-mid may. Ive had two out since then and no attention is being given. Good luck with yours. Try try try.

Well we transferred the swarm to a deep super today. Found a queen!!! These guys are quite active. Plenty of foundation being drawn out. They do seem a bit more aggressive than my other 3 hives. Lots of activity outside the box and when you get close there are some that will buzz my head pretty close but no stings. Smoke doesn't seem to have as much effect on them as the others but it does move them. While looking for the queen had plenty of them coming off the frames and walking around on my hands. Guess they were ok with me. All in all we're really pleased with how everything looks and happier that they were FREE We'll check them over the next weekend to see if she is laying eggs.

Great!!!! Congratulations on your new additions.

Thanks. Well I got the swarm box all reset and went to put it up and there were at least a couple hundred bees hanging out where the box was? Didn't even get it set down and at least a dozen were heading in. Guessing all the bee's couldn't fit in the box. It was standing room only when I opened it today. Guess I'll wait till dark again and go close it up and bring it out by the new hive and set it in front of it.. Does that sound like it might work??

Well I did get a few more hundred bees by setting the box back out there. When I brought it to the new hive, they took right to it.
    Just opened the hive today and we have brood. Was glad to see that. Actually got to see the queen lay a few eggs.