Question Queen laying in honey super

I've got two hives where the queen is laying in the super. In one of the hives she was also laying in the deep. The other one completely ignores the deep...at least for now.

I've placed a queen excluder on one and ordered a queen excluder from the other.

My question is the following....I suspect that my hives are not hive enough off the ground. Do they prefer to work in 'higher' environments? My three hives are all on two stacked palettes, but I'm wondering if I should invest in hivestands; would that help? Or is my theory completely loco?

thanks!!

Zoe on Long Island

Default Re: Queen laying in honey super

Nothing Loco: I prefer my bees up off the ground by at least a foot. But that is me.

As for the queen laying only in the supper and not the deep. Take the supper and put it on the bottom and put the deep on top of it.
    Maybe ( I repeat maybe) she will move up.
    I personally don't used queen excludes except under the top cover.

The height of your hives is just fine. They need to be up off the ground so the bottom boards don't rot out. Beyond that, trim the grass in front of the entrances every so often to make it easier for the bees to come and go.

Hives have been kept right on the ground for a long time. Makes no diff to the bees. Friends of mine used to run thousands of hives sitting on two half thick cinder blocks. All year round. What height is good for you? Your back?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Thanks everyone for the advice!
    I guess I should just let the queen go where she wants to go and let it be!! I'm just worried about an "empty" deep as we prepare for winter....

As far as reversing the boxes...I've done that before without success.

I think I'll try the queen excluder and see if I can keep her down so to speak.

>I've got two hives where the queen is laying in the super. In one of the hives she was also laying in the deep. The other one completely ignores the deep...at least for now.

If the queen is laying in it, it's not a super, it's a brood box. More bees--more honey.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thank you Michael...I can definitely appreciate that more bees means more honey!! I've got that...but what do I do about an empty or not fully used deep?

Quote Originally Posted by ZoeRod View Post
    Thank you Michael...I can definitely appreciate that more bees means more honey!! I've got that...but what do I do about an empty or not fully used deep?
    If you have a queen excluder you can force her down. just locate her and gently push her off. then when the brood hatches they will back fill it with honey.

>but what do I do about an empty or not fully used deep?

They will store honey over the brood and eventually push the queen down. But you can confine her if you like. That's why I have all the same size boxes.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Sorry, a little side question here, has anyone ever used a fume board to drive queens down out of supers so that you can add an excluder. I know myself I use excluders, and I like to keep them off (especially with new foundation) until the bees are working good on at least 2-3 frames, then put them on. But it involves looking for the queen frame by frame in the super (so I can put her down below) which takes more time than I would like it to, doing that to 50 hives does eat up time, but that's how I do it. Was thinking a fume board could probably do it fast (although I've never used one) and then just slip the excluder in and be confident she is not in the super in case she was. John

Yes jmgi, that how many people do it. But, if you have no experience w/ fume boards using them may not work as well as someone w/ experience. Too much dope will get bees lowgy and they will just sit there in the super stupified.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston