Hybrid View

Default Identify this wasp thing?

There were 3 or 4 of these on my catmint/catnip today. Never seen anything like them because they appeared to have 3 reddish abdomens all moving constantly, as were the wasp/hornet/whatever critters. They moved very quickly from flower to flower and were hard to photograph, so hope the images are clear enough. Unfortunately you can't see the multiple abdomens, which was the really weird thing about them. From the top the wing placement looked almost like a horsefly but the wings are black and narrower. The body is actually orange and about 3/4 inch long.

wasp4.jpgWasp.jpgwasp2.jpgwasp3.jpg
    Last edited by thenance007; 06-22-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Default Re: Identify this wasp thing?

From what i can tell, it looks like a regular red/paper wasp.
    Potato Guns shouldn't be illegal in Texas!

I have lots of them around, but unless they look very different when collecting nectar, this didn't look at all like them. It has 2 long antennae close to 1/4 inch long too.

Could it be the Great Golden Digger Wasp? http://bumblebeewatch.blogspot.com/2...at-golden.html

Thanks, WilMorris but it isn't that big. Best I've been able to figure, it is probably a sawfly:

http://www.pbase.com/crocodile/image/31641944

Apparently they have something called a cenchrus on their sides which is probably what appeared to be 3 abdomens:

"The cenchrus (plural cenchri) is a specialized anatomical structure in the insect group known as sawflies. The cenchri are small blister-like lobes on the metanotum of these insects, just posterior to the mesothoracic scutellum, shaped and positioned in such a way as to latch onto the base of the front wings when they are folded at rest." Wikipedia