Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How you seal your honey jars?

I am doing my research now on the sealing machines, when I buy one will send you the link, then you can use regular caps.
    Herbal Honey Blends Made in NY
    www.highendherbals.com

Something which fits into your business plan which will be paid for w/ profits from selling herb infused honey? Sounds expensive. Are you planning on setting up a business to sell thousands of jars of this product?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by bevy's honeybees View Post
    I haven't resolved the problem yet, though I did buy some separate twist on metal lids that I haven't tried. I hate to throw away a perfectly good lid.
    Those two part lids are capable of making a good seal, they are used in home steam canning on a regular basis and work fine. Since you are are not using the steam (vacuum) process with honey, you may need to tighten the lids more. Perhaps the tool that is generally used to loosen these lids may work for you in tightening the lids.

(photo linked from: http://www.equipmykitchen.com/2008/0...-not-the-cook/
    similar items are available at Walmart)

As far as not having to throw away the two part lids, find someone local that does home canning. At a minimum the flat part of the lid is valuable and usable by anyone doing home canning. Walmart sells a dozen of the Mainstays brand flat lid parts for about $1.50. National brands like Ball cost more.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Thanks RS, I will get one of those tools. I need one anyway as I often have trouble opening jars.

Mainstay jars have lids packaged separate from the jars, so selling lids is a good idea too. I can use my 1 piece lids for those jars.

I've noticed that with Mainstay I can easily get 23 oz in, whereas Ball leaves very little room on top with 23 oz. Ball jars are the ones that I have most problem with leaking too.

typo in my first post, I meant honey healthier in glass.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Just curious bevy, why don't you simply put a little less honey in your jar, say 20 ounces? I bet you have to be really careful filling jars so you don't over fill them.

My recollection of when Mom canned pickles or beans or jelly was that once the flat lid was sealed down to the jar the ring came off to be used w/ the next batch. The ring and flat part weren't supposed to make a tight seal on their own, it was the pressure cooking that created the seal. So, I think that using canning jars and lids and expecting a leak proof seal may be beyond design expectations. Proper tool for the job? Maybe?

Mark, you are right. I need to either buy separate 1 piece lids (assuming they are going to seal tight) or switch to all plastic jars.

And yes I have to be very careful filling. I try for 23 oz because I mostly sell those and 12 oz, which I price at half the cost of mason jars. Not sure my logic in that though. Maybe I make things too hard for myself.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Why don't u use standard honey jars? Availability? Folksiness of the Mason Jar? Customer appeal?

If my jars are going to sit on a shelf I use heat shrink seals. If you come by the house to buy one....just a lid.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

I have never had the mason jar 2 part lids leak, the rubber seal on the cover seems to prevent the leaks and have never had anyone mention honey safety because of jar type. Must be a midwest thing to eat dirt and enjoy it.

I love the look of clean sparkly glass with honey in it (or other colorful foods like jams/jelly) . Love the canning jars as they are reusable. Not too fond of foods in plastic jars. It seems more and more foods are coming in plastic jars and not glass. The benefit of canning jars is they are strong and can be reused for canning or freezing foods. I put a lot of foods in canning jars in the freezer. Those types of jars can take heat or cold.........just don't give them thermal shock or they can crack.

We have been using a new Food Saver to vacuum seal canning jars of food for the freezer (tomatoes, fruits, berries). It can also be used for sealing stored dehydrated foods. However, just vacuum sealing a jar of food alone, does not preserve it. Canning is for that. Of course, honey does not need the extra treatment.

If someone wanted to vacuum seal their jars of honey and then sell them at a self serve stand, the customer could check for the "seal" to know it was not tampered with.

I believe there is a You Tube video that shows how to vacuum seal things like your hex jar/lid combo. Just need to get the jar with lid on into a larger jar. Vacuum seal the larger jar and when you release the pressure on the larger jar, the smaller jar seals.

~~~~~~~~~~
    Last edited by Bee Bliss; 07-02-2013 at 10:06 PM.

We use glass jars and two piece metal lid and screw them on. Leave a 1/2 inch of air space above the honey and have no problems with leaking.

To get a vacuum seal with these lids, screw the lid on slightly loose so as the honey and air expands when heated in a hot water bath, and some air is exhausted. Remove jars from the heat, screw the lid down tight and when the honey and air cool they contract and will create a vacuum inside the jar. Never tried it with honey but this works nearly 100% for home canning.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

we mainly use mason jars. Jars are kept warm while we extract in a warm room. Honey gets strained/filtered then put straight into the jars. 100% pop on the lids as the honey cools to room temp so no need to heat the jars after filling.

a lot of the mann lake jars have glass queenline jars with caps that have the tamper proof seals. Screw the lids on and the seal sticks to the jar. done.

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeepin...productInfo/1/

Quote Originally Posted by bolter View Post
    we mainly use mason jars. Jars are kept warm while we extract in a warm room. 100% pop on the lids as the honey cools to room temp so no need to heat the jars after filling.
    How high in the jar do you fill to get that "pop" seal?
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    How high in the jar do you fill to get that "pop" seal?
    Roughly 1/4 inch//bottom of the "screw threads" that are on the outside of the lip. They usually pop in 1/2 hour or less.

seal the cap with bees wax, that could be your thing. marketing edge.....

on mason jars it helps to heat the lids, i usually boil a small pot of water then turn it off and throw the lids in then pick them out with a fork and put them on and tighten the ring around and they seal as they cool, have not tried with honey yet but other canned but not cooked goods i have.