Default Summertime splits/nucs?

I have two really strong langs, each with three deeps full of honey, pollen, and brood. The supers are on right now and filling up fast. My question is, can I split these hives around July when the flow ends? Like everybody else I want to expand and do it without spending a whole lot of money. I just wasn't sure about splitting so late. I live in southeast Tennessee, winters can be mild, but we do get some temps in the teens once in a while. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Matt

Default Re: Summertime splits/nucs?

As long as you plan to FEED!!!

I think your safe. I split hives last year sometime between August/September-to make 5x5 nucs and they over wintered just fine. Split away. Just watch for robbing if you have to feed.

I live in Middle Tennessee and have done July splits the last 2 years and overwintered them as nucs. Watch out for shb. They will take down a weak split quickly. I have successfully overwintered 4-5 medium frame nucs here.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt903 View Post
    I have two really strong langs, each with three deeps full of honey, pollen, and brood. The supers are on right now and filling up fast. My question is, can I split these hives around July when the flow ends? Like everybody else I want to expand and do it without spending a whole lot of money. I just wasn't sure about splitting so late. I live in southeast Tennessee, winters can be mild, but we do get some temps in the teens once in a while. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Matt
    Why not split now by pulling your queen and some brood, honey, and pollen to a5 frame nuc? the main hive well really put the honey on with les brood to feed and you get a head start on the split, it might be ready for full size hive by the time flow ends. 11 days after pulling queen you can go in and take extra queen cells out and make more splits if you have enough resources.

Thumbs Up Re: Summertime splits/nucs?

Quote Originally Posted by rweakley View Post
    Why not split now by pulling your queen and some brood, honey, and pollen to a5 frame nuc? the main hive well really put the honey on with les brood to feed and you get a head start on the split, it might be ready for full size hive by the time flow ends. 11 days after pulling queen you can go in and take extra queen cells out and make more splits if you have enough resources.

I did a split with a new carni queen last week, took out three frames of brood and added two frames of foundation to make up the nuc. Took the frames from a italian hive that is a great comb wax builders. I guess the key is feed like crazy and watch for robbing.