Default Extractor Advice

Just wondering what others are using for an extractor. Been doing my research, but with so many options and price differences was wondering what other small scale beekeepers recommend and are using and why you went with that make and model.

Default Re: Extractor Advice

Every good quality stainless extractor wears out several beekeepers. Look for a used one. Unless you know for sure that you will only have a maximum of two hives, start with a good radial extractor. I have a much bigger extractor than I need but it was cheaper than a new one of the size I actually need. Advertize on craigslist for one. I hope you are a duck hunter if you live in Elgin area! many fond memories of hunting waterfowl in that general area.

I have the Mann Lake 6/3. It was priced right and I got it on sale and free shipping, plenty sturdy and does all I need.
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

MAXANT better quality great service made in the US and you can talk to them on here.

I have the Maxant 6/3 that I ordered from Mann Lake in an extracting kit. Works well, love it.

Mann lake doesn't sell our extractors
    They have their own line
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

Quote Originally Posted by NoDak Beekeeper View Post
    Just wondering what others are using for an extractor. Been doing my research, but with so many options and price differences was wondering what other small scale beekeepers recommend and are using and why you went with that make and model.
    How many hives do you have? How many are you going to have?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Unless you are making your living extracting, look for a used one. You use an extractor at most a few weeks a year. They don't wear out when used by sideliners. It takes a lot of honey to pay for a new one.

I'm small scale/hobby. Had the Maxant 9 frame great machine, but it would take about 3 days to extract a few hundred pounds of our thick CA honey, about 14.5% moisture.
    Just upgraded to the Maxant 20 frame to save time. Time is the one thing I don't have enough of.
    Dan

NoDak...........................looks like KQ6AR (Dan) might have a used one to sell!
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

I read, searched, talked to folks and would have purchased 2nd hand if one had been been both available and cost effective.

Was in the USA last week and finally made a decision...bought a powered Maxant 3/6/9. Will it be large enough? I only have 15 hives..expect will end up 30. The store I was in also had the 20. Why did I not get that...it seemed huge for my needs. I doubt I could move it about on my own and if I wanted to just extract a few frames it would be serious over kill.

The store said that if in a while I find it too small I could readily move it on if I wished to go to the 20....or I could keep it to have both options.

Anyway..at this point in time I am content with my decision.

Does maxant sponsor beesource?

Had 3 buyers for the 3100P as soon as I mentioned I was upgrading. Sorry North Dakota
    Dan

Bought the Mann Lake 18 frame electric extractor. Didn't have to beg for a discount or free freight. They offered both!!!! I have 6 hives.

We did a few years ago
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

NoDak, Mann Lake has $100 off on the electric 18 frame through Wednesday......and free freight. Keep those ND bee's working hard.....I'll be in the Jamestown, Valley City area next weekend.

Right now I have just a few hives but hope to have my numbers back up in a couple years. I have been looking for a used one but i think that is like finding a needle in a haystack as soon as someone mentions it its gone. Would love to have the 18 frame but dont have that much cash flow right now to justify it. One great thing about beekeeping is there is always someone looking for used equipment so if i buy a smaller extractor now it shouldn't be hard to find a home for it later.

For small time honey production, as Michael Bush says, all you really need is a pocket knife.

I wonder if he stole that idea from Richard Taylor?

borrowed, I meant borrowed.
    Last edited by sqkcrk; 06-28-2013 at 07:53 AM.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

>I wonder if he stole that idea from Richard Taylor?

I don't think I ever said it, but I quoted it...

http://bushfarms.com/beesharvest.htm#combhoney

"All this seems obvious enough, and yet time after time I have seen novice beekeepers, as soon as they had built their apiaries up to a half dozen or so hives, begin to look around for an extractor. It is as if one were to establish a small garden by the kitchen door, and then at once begin looking for a tractor to till it with. Unless then, you have, or plan eventually to have, perhaps fifty or more colonies of bees, you should try to resist looking in bee catalogs at the extractors and other enchanting and tempting tools that are offered and instead look with renewed fondness at your little pocket knife, so symbolic of the simplicity that is the mark of every truly good life." --Richard Taylor, The Comb Honey Book
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF