Default Increasing Honey Production 6 weejs before start of flow

Is there anything I can do aside from adding brood to colonies I expect to super? Am I likely condemning a colony that hasn't built up well enough to super if I take all their capped brood? Should I do a quick mite drop as I add the brood? I have several swarms that were hived on drawn comb - should I be supering those as well or hope that they'll collect enough to get them through winter?

Last year I had several yards produce no honey - when there appeared to be plenty of natural resources - in yards that had previously produced honey.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Default Re: Increasing Honey Production 6 weejs before start of flow

Feeding pollen sub will cause higher brood production with healthy bees. See this vid on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzZXO...=TL971lkBGq1BE

Adding a bunch of young bees won't likely boost honey production much, unless your flow is a few weeks out.

I combined a box of bees from a trapout with an 8 frame med nuc and within a week they had their box filled and capped and that little nuc is now working on their second box of honey.

What is wrong with adding brood to production colonies to increase production. Nothing of course, it's about where you get that brood.

Bill, Lesley E., For the Love of Bees, 1989, David and Charles Inc.

The huge double-walled hives in use at this time [1900] were mainly of French origin and of all shapes and sizes. Some of the hives held as many as eighteen frames and Columban attempted to house a nucleus at one end of each colony separated only by a ventilated dummy or dividing board, having individual entrances but using a common super. This proved unsatisfactory and led him to make special nucleus boxes, each divided into four parts containing three to four frames with a feeder below. He was able to winter these nuclei successfully and excess brood was used to boost the honey producing colonies. p. 27-28

I just re-read the title, six weeks, that is plenty of time. Honestly though, I'd put on some patty and give the hives as much drawn comb as possible, they should get ready on themselves in 6 weeks if they're at least a single now.