Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: warming crystalized honey

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    How about leaving the tub, toilet and dishwasher to serve their 'normal' uses and just use the hot box the original poster built for the express purpose ...
    Why? Because that is your solution. Liquid transfer is faster and if the honey is really crystallized it will take a lot of time or at a much higher temperature and then he will have to watch it. Besides other people read these posts and they may not have a hot box.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I bought a commercial food warmer at an auction, its tall like a refrigerator with lots of shelves, it has a fan and heating element in the bottom. It has a control knob on the bottom I had to use a thermometer with a remote sensor to get it adjusted where it would stay just above 100 degrees. But, it has worked awesome. It only cost $40 and it is big enough to hold three 5gallon buckets or several cases of honey. I have not noticed it darkening or changing the taste of the honey at all.

See if you have an auction company in the area and get on their mailing list. Anytime you see them auctioning off restaurant equipment it would be worth going. There are a lot of things out of a commercial kitchens that works great in the honey house. They sell those steamers which are great for melting wax, a large stainless salad bar can be mounted on a stand and make a great uncapping tank, the food warmers work good for honey warmers, stainless sinks and tables are also handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Besides other people read these posts and they may not have a hot box.
    Yes....

And "other people" shouldn't be encouraged to condition honey that will be sold to the public in unsanitary conditions.

How would customers react, knowing that the honey they just bought made a detour through a restroom?
    Last edited by BeeCurious; 03-04-2014 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Good Grief!
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    See if you have an auction company in the area and get on their mailing list. Anytime you see them auctioning off restaurant equipment it would be worth going.
    Cleaned or uncleaned... Storage Wars. I got a guy that didn't pay his taxes and he is not paying us... go figure. You got a strong back the crap is heavy. I am sure the fryers are full of rancid grease. Winner takes all.
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    How would customers react, knowing that the honey they just bought made a detour through a restroom?
    Bees frequent manure and throw up nectar that you or someone else eats. Get over you squeamish behavior and come back to reality.
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Bees frequent manure and throw up nectar that you or someone else eats. Get over you squeamish behavior and come back to reality.
    "Stifle yourself Edith! "
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

The water in a dishwasher hits 180 degrees I would be careful with that.
    1 year 8 hives with more to come in 2014 T

Not doubting your 180 figure, I just have not had a bit of negative results with my dishwasher or with my daughters at her house.

Usually a dishwasher that has a preheat cycle can be turn off by the energy saver button. That would mean the water temp would be closer to 120-130 coming out of the hot water tank. The problem I see is that the dish washer uses a low volume of water and would cool down quickly if something wasn't adding heat. What setting do you use Vance?
    Brian Cardinal

If you you have honey to decrystallize and don't have a honey warming box, a very practical one can be made by stacking up a few empty hive bodies, a lid, and a light bulb.

See the posts (with photos) by Charlie B in this thread:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ng#post1033047
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Again, a heating pad (which you probably already have) wrapped around the bucket with string or rubber band works great!
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver