Default which direction do your bees build

If you have an end entrance did your bees start working by the entrance and work back or go back to the follower board and work toward the front of the hive, both of mine started toward the back and worked toward the front and in one of them they are now storing honey toward the front on the narrower bars and as I move the board back they made brood comb on the wider honey bars , so glad I decided to go with all the same size bars on my other TBH and just use spacers as needed

Default Re: which direction do your bees build

Mine have started a couple bars from the entrance and worked back.

^^^^Ditto, except for one very small swarm I captured that I put in a 10 bar nuc. They have started building in the back...

Both of mine have started from the front and progressed to the rear. I put a 3/8 spacer bar prior to the first.
    Ed

That is what everything I've ever read suggested they do, but both of my TBH's have started from the rear and worked toward the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    That is what everything I've ever read suggested they do, but both of my TBH's have started from the rear and worked toward the front.
    How big is your entrance in square inches?

They do whatever they want, but mine USUALLY start by the entrance...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbackotter View Post
    How big is your entrance in square inches?
    I just slid the first bar back about 3/4 of an inch and have a dummy bar that I can slide back and forth between the first board and some screws to make an adjustable entrance, When I started the packate it was about 3/4 x 1 inch now that's the hive is 3/4 full it's wide open.

So far mine start nearest the entrances and build back too.

Mine started near the front about six bars back from the entrance where I hung the queen cage. (Sorry Michael Bush) That was the first, then they worked back quickly and towards the front towards the entrance slowly.

Hived my TB on 5/4. With the feeder slash follower board, gave them12 bars at front of hive, (have end entrance). They balled up on bars 4-6 and started pulling comb. Moved feeder back 2 more bars. Every time they would get within 6 bars of feeder moved it back another 2. They now have pulled comb on 1 - 20 and doing great. Monty in Marquette

Installed on 4/20 into end entrance 3' long KTBH. Gave each hive 7bars to start with. Hives are side by side, both facing due east.
    Hive 1, slow to build, starting building on bar #2 on the north side of the hive (this hive is also to the north)
    Hive 2, quick to build, started building on bar #4 (so I rearranged them three weeks later to shove them forward), building on the south side of the hive (this hive is to the south of the other one)
    Both have built from the entrances towards the 'back' of the hive or follower board. However, it's interesting to me that they started building on opposite 'sides' of their hives! (i.e. the northern hive, started on the north side; the southern hive started on the south side!). Literally, there is about 2' between the two hives - both facing exactly the same direction! Crazy curious to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Life is Good! View Post
    Installed on 4/20 into end entrance 3' long KTBH. Gave each hive 7bars to start with. Hives are side by side, both facing due east.
    Hive 1, slow to build, starting building on bar #2 on the north side of the hive (this hive is also to the north)
    Hive 2, quick to build, started building on bar #4 (so I rearranged them three weeks later to shove them forward), building on the south side of the hive (this hive is to the south of the other one)
    Both have built from the entrances towards the 'back' of the hive or follower board. However, it's interesting to me that they started building on opposite 'sides' of their hives! (i.e. the northern hive, started on the north side; the southern hive started on the south side!). Literally, there is about 2' between the two hives - both facing exactly the same direction! Crazy curious to me!
    check your level side to side one of mine draws right down the middle the other was moving down the south side so I checked and it and the south side was about half a*buble off on the high side

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    check your level side to side one of mine draws right down the middle the other was moving down the south side so I checked and it and the south side was about half a*buble off on the high side
    I've checked, double checked and checked after the first major thunderstorm.....spot on level. I thought this might be the issue as well, but not that is discernible by me! (Level both side to side and front to back and even corner to corner!)

Maybe it has something to do with air flow or temp or something but who knows that is what makes them so interesting they have a collective mind of their own