Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Odfrank's Observations - Bees Inhabiting Potential Nesting Sites

Thanks for the observations in this thread. They have been very informative and helpful.

I have been seeing behavior in and around some empty, but previously used, equipment that struck me as scouting. It seems a bit early but I thought maybe they were planning for the future. (My bees are in the middle of their first major brood-up of the spring and no drones around yet.) The scouting is just up to a few bees at a time and I am pretty sure they aren't from my hives. They are pretty much black whereas one of mine is an old gold and the other leather colored. They also fly away over my house which is the opposite direction from my hives. When they fly away they circle first like they are trying to fix the location. I added Q-Tips with queen juice and LGO around midday and interest seemed to amp up a little. I've got a few old combs in the one nuc that is getting the most interest, none in the other but it is getting a little traffic too. I had my first hive inside replacing the screened bottom with a solid one and putting new legs on it. I got that done, put it back out today,and threw some lure in for the heck of it. The other two are 10 and 8 bar KTBH nucs so they are pretty small. I plan to take the hive out to a friends place and set it up there in a week or two but maybe I should wait at least two weeks (based on what Adam observed) to see if anything wants a bigger home. I was just going to bait it there anyway, with the plan to install an early split if no swarms start homesteading.
    3rd yr - 1 KTBH & 4 KTBH nucs - TF - USDA Zn 6b

>I have been seeing behavior in and around some empty, but previously used, equipment that struck me as scouting. It seems a bit early but I thought maybe they were planning for the future.

If you think about it, the bees seem to know everything in a 1 mile radius and most things within a 2 mile radius. I think you are correct that they are making note of things for the future when you see an occasional bee check out a bait hive. When you start to see much activity, I think they are actually trying to make a decision.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Foster Collins View Post
    Have you noticed this at your swarm traps?
    I have noticed something like what you are describing. I have also had large numbers of scouts stay overnight in some of the traps before. The first year I trapped I thought this was just a fluke, but I have observed it many times now. That's why I don't move traps until there is pollen entering.

I wrote something about this behavior in a post on 5/17/2012.
    http://letmbee.com/2012/05/17/new-ob...ming-behavior/

There is still much to bees that we don't understand.... Good thing they know what they're doing......
    Jason Bruns
    LetMBee.com YouTube

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123