Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Small Hive Beetle idea/question

Is there any way to orient a hive opening to make it harder/impossible for the SHB to enter? I noticed on one of my hives that the opening of my inner cover had a ring of propolis around it. I assume that would prevent the SHB from running down into the hive. The thought occurred to me that removing the bottom board and replacing with an inner cover on table legs might allow the bees to do the same thing on the other end. I'm also wondering if SHB would be able to navigate that entrance without landing. Am I being ridiculous, or is it worth a shot?

Default Re: Small Hive Beetle idea/question

I have been trying to come up with something myself. Although this year I have not have as many issues with beetles this year.. Looking at the beetle jail traps.. I would hope I could make something similar to this:
    http://beetlejail.com/store/index.ph...&product_id=55

Ridiculous! The beetles are way smaller than bees. They even seem to be able to get into hives that are loaded with bees. I don't see how you can have an entrance for the bees that won't also serve the beetles, fwiw.

better thought is how to stop the larve from reaching the ground.... a combination of gaurdstar, solid bottoms and top entrances have really cut into my beetle issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Gino45 View Post
    Ridiculous! I don't see how you can have an entrance for the bees that won't also serve the beetles, fwiw.
    I'm wondering if flight agility/maneuverability can be exploited. Force them to land and walk rather than fly into the hive.

Gino, I am with you there.. But I did see a video if this thing in action. The bees with their long legs step over the entrance and a hive beetle came along and landed on the edge of the trap, slipped and fell into the trap... Pretty cool.. I would like to know someone using one and see how it goes..

All of my have except for a couple of NUCs are on 2/6 hive stands.. the 2/6s are on blocks and bricks.. Late last summer after having a hive beetle problem all summer.. I cleaned out from under my hives, put down thick black plastic and covered it with gravel. It is setup so that it drains well. Along the outside I have bricks so it keeps the gravel in place.. In my thoughts, I figured if a hive beetle larva made it out of the hive it will land in that hot gravel and that would be the end of it... So far this year I have not see many hive beetles...maybe it has not been time for them yet, I do not know, but i think I have slowed them down for sure.

Well, I like bottom entrances as they give me early insight into any problems being caused by beetles. So I am able to get to them early before they escape into the soil (or rocks). With no bottom entrance, I can't see what's going on from the outside and don't have this early detection.

Also, the beetles are great flyers and my thought is that I am get them from elsewhere rather than raising my own, fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    better thought is how to stop the larve from reaching the ground...
    I've wondered if a mulch of spun landscape fabric--like Tyvek, but water permeable--under and around the hives would stop them. Anyone know?

better thought is how to stop the larve from reaching the ground....
    That's a good thought...for inhibiting future SHB, but once larvae is crawling around in and exiting the hive, you must take immediate action within the hive to stop them. Getting salvageable frames out and freezing them, moving bees to new frames etc...
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

I think the black plastic with gravel on top is working for me.. The plastic makes the barrier and the gravel keeps the sun from eating the plastic. I had a lot of beetle traps in the hive all last year. I still have a couple in each hive this year but have not see any in there yet.

I think it everyone stopped the larva from making it to the ground there would be less and less..

better thought is how to stop the larve from reaching the ground.... a combination of gaurdstar, solid bottoms and top entrances have really cut into my beetle issues.
    SHB's can pupate in the hive as well as in the ground.
    "You have to put down the ducky if you wanna play the Saxophone!" Mr .Hoot

I use mud flaps from dump trucks and semis that lay along the highway. I have seen 1 beetle in 10 years and that was this spring. He got the hive tool smash. The mud flaps get real hot in the summer sun don't know if that is what helps or not. Also my bees are all feral swarms, cutouts and splits from them and treatment free.

We had a presentation here where it was stated that the larvae are hardy and can travel amazingly far, HOWEVER, A strong hive can control them. Better to control the mites that set the hive up to be destroyed by beetjes, IMO.

How many beetles are around is determined by how many hives, wild or domestic, are being destroyed by mites in the area. Mite destroyed hives are the source of the beetles.

never hear or seen that......

Gino45: this year I have seen a major reduction in beetle numbers. All of the hives in those 3 affected yards are very strong this year. I don't know if the hive numbers are high because there are no beetles or if there are no beetles because I have well stocked colonies.

I hope this is a trend that continues. Not seeing beetles on the inner cover on inspection is something I could get used to.....
    Jason Bruns
    LetMBee.com YouTube

I'm having a tough time this year. Making some corex and Beetle Jail traps using boric acid. I was wondering if solid bottoms and smaller entrances would help the bees in their fight against the beetles.

I know not scraping propolis really makes a difference, too. I've seen them entomb beetles in propolis this year. Sticky and effective.

Quote Originally Posted by justusflynns View Post
    I'm wondering if flight agility/maneuverability can be exploited. Force them to land and walk rather than fly into the hive.

A friend of mine has his hives 15 feet off the ground (on his back deck) and hasn't seen a single beetle in any of his hives. Makes me wonder if there's an altitude cut-off for the beetles' flight paths.

Quote Originally Posted by Gino45 View Post
    How many beetles are around is determined by how many hives, wild or domestic, are being destroyed by mites in the area. Mite destroyed hives are the source of the beetles.
    Huh? Where did you get that?
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Last week I had what appeared to be a swarm of those beetles trying to get into the hive. I killed 20 or more just swatting them down and squashing them. There were quite a few being chased around inside the hive. This week I haven't seen one yet. Did the bees get rid of them or did they lay their eggs and leave?

How do they deal with these beetles in Africa, where they came from? I notice a lot of Africans suspend their hives from trees.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast