Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 25,000 bumblebees killed, dropping from trees in Wilsonville; pesticide suspected

I'm impressed that there are that many bumblebees. Who knew?

With the amount of pesticide and the method of application there must have been some drift and human exposure. I wonder if any people were effected? Was the Parking Lot closed for a day or over night?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Default Re: 25,000 bumblebees killed, dropping from trees in Wilsonville; pesticide suspected

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    I have no idea what they were trying to kill here but it sure was effective.
    Aphids which were raining honeydew on the cars in the parking lot. So I figure the Target store management wanted the aphids killed to prevent some of their customers from filing a lawsuit for paint damage.

A new update on this matter is going to create very bad press for neonics: About 20 miles away from the Target store someone found another Linden tree with dead bees underneath it and a preliminary investigation indicates the tree was legally treated (with a foliar spray I presume) back in March long before it bloomed and yet the neonic residues were still capable of killing bees nectaring on the tree in June when it bloomed. So in other words, even though the applicator followed label directions in March, bumblebees were still killed in June. Here is a 2 minute radio talk show video where the CEO of the Xerces Society talks about this new incident: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EpIZfUxAW4

As many of us know, nothing gets an environmental organization (Xerces Society in this case) more excited and overjoyed than if they discover an unintended consequence of a chemical as that means free nationwide publicity that generates many new dues paying members and possible new grant and donation funding.
    Last edited by BlueDiamond; 06-24-2013 at 10:43 PM.

Take out the trees and replace them w/ something that doesn't flower.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDiamond View Post
    As many of us know, nothing gets an environmental organization (Xerces Society in this case) more excited and overjoyed than if they discover an unintended consequence of a chemical.
    As many of us know, nothing gets the pro neonic, Monsanto, Bayer activist in a tissy when people are not pleased that an insecticide is killing off pollinators.

And yes, other pollinators, moths, honeybees, etc. were killed because of this application. And yes, neonics kill pollinators long after application ...that's what a lot of beekeepers have been concerned with for a long time now.

Quote Originally Posted by rniles View Post
    And yes, other pollinators, moths, honeybees, etc. were killed because of this application.
    And all of them continue to be abundant in the treatment area despite the accidental kill. Here is a 2 minute news segment shows that many healthy bumblebees are still in the area of the parking lot bumblebee kill and are trying to get inside the netting that has been draped over the flowering Linden trees: http://www.koin.com/2013/06/21/wilso...ng-bee-deaths/

Ah. More bees! I hear neonics will kill pollinators for a long time yet.