Default help...hive beetles

I have maybe 50 or so little black beetles in my top bar hive. what should i do?

Default Re: help...hive beetles

I've tried traps, but nothing has really worked, except keeping a strong hive. Beetles are only a nuisance to a strong hive. 50 beetles doesn't sound so bad. Hundreds or more...especially if you see any squirming larvae, are a definite problem.

The interesting thing is that I had a lot of hive beetles last year, but this year I seem to have none at all! I'm not sure what happened to them, but I'm not complaining. I requeened both of my hives, so maybe some local genetics have figured the whole thing out (I know...wishful thinking).

Also...squish every one you can get your hive tool on!

Toss a small square of corrugated cardboard on the floor of the hive. The bees will chase them in there and keep them quarantined. When you inspect the hive you can take it out (and smash it, burn it, etc.) and replace it with another. It works well in my hive.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeneralsBees View Post
    Toss a small square of corrugated cardboard on the floor of the hive. The bees will chase them in there and keep them quarantined. When you inspect the hive you can take it out (and smash it, burn it, etc.) and replace it with another. It works well in my hive.
    That's a pretty good idea. Thanks for sharing it! I keep freeman traps under my hives, but they are expensive. I'll try your suggestion as well.