Default Wooden Frame with Wax Foundation Lifespan

Just curious how long typical beekeepers keep their wooden frames before replacing them & if they replace the whole frame or just thoroughly clean the wax & install fresh foundation? Feedback please!

Default Re: Wooden Frame with Wax Foundation Lifespan

Once the comb gets black I replace with new foundation. Bees seem to like new comb. The old comb if used for brood is hard to decap.

I think they just take out foundation, clean the frame and put in fresh foundation.

I'm currently using frames that my dad used back in the 80's, so it just depends on how hard you are on them or what happens to them.(like getting Foul Brood or an animal knocking your hive over and busting them etc...) Now the foundation is a different matter. I'm trying to swap out all old foundation in the brood boxes, because i have herd that this will help with diseases.

I've heard of brood frames being over 50 years old, no kidding. I wouldn't keep them around anywhere near that long even if they were still in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    I've heard of brood frames being over 50 years old, no kidding.
    My state aparist said frames 10-15 years old were common in his mississippi operation. Not that this is good practice, but he said he didn't notice a problem.