Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Russians, pros & cons

That could be a good trait for me. I am always in need of new queens, it seems. I wonder if they do like regular Russian and have a few on stand-by most of the time.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

As I stated earlier I have some Yugos. Yugos are supposedly a cross between Russians and Carinolans. If they are a Russian cross then it's a trait of theirs to keep extra queen cells in the hive. I always find queen cells in my Russians, and since I was pre-warned that this is a common trait of Russians it doesn't bother me. I occasionally find cells in my Yugos but not like the Russians. I don't think cutting the cells out will help. It seems they tear the cells down before hatching if they don't need them. I can rob the cells from one of my hives to make some queens and in two days they will have more cells started.

I know Tabers or honey bee genetics in Vacaville sells the yugo/russian & has for years. Think it meant Yugoslavia. I had some about 5 years ago & they where good bees.
    Not sure how much Russian blood could remain in them after so many years of raising them. It would be interesting to find out.
    Dan

My Yugo queens I got from Taber's are the blackest bees I've seen. They are also prolific layers, and very gentle, too. I honestly can't tell much difference in them and my Russians except the Russian queens aren't nearly as black.

Now I want some!

How productive are they? I have heard they are a breed of Carniolan that is found on Primorsky, and have no real relation to Russian bees.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McCarty View Post
    Now I want some!

How productive are they? I have heard they are a breed of Carniolan that is found on Primorsky, and have no real relation to Russian bees.
    This is my first year with the Yugos, but I don't see much difference from my Russians. They don't keep quite as many, just in case queen cells on hand, but at times they seem to make a few cells then will tear them down before they hatch. I set up 4 nucs of Yugos this spring and 2 of them have totally exploded and 2 are just getting by. They seem to be very gentle. So far I really like them. After this winter I'll decide if they are keepers.

I have almost bit the bullet and bought several Yugo queens for two years now. Each time I talk myself out of it. I think they would be awesome crossed with our wild mountain bees.