Hybrid View

Smile Russians, pros & cons

Started beekeeping last year with two hives of Italians. I still have two Italian hives. but all packages and queens I purchased this year are Russian Hybrids, and Yugos. So far I really like these bees much better than my Italians. I was wondering what breed of bee most of you prefer and why? Thanks.
    Last edited by Bill91143; 06-20-2013 at 07:17 AM.

Default Re: Russians, pros & cons

Quote Originally Posted by Bill91143 View Post
    Started beekeeping last year with two hives of Italians. I still have two Italian hives. but all packages and queens I purchased this year are Russian Hybrids, and Hugo.
    What is a Hugo?
    "Everything turns to dust -and there is nothing you can do to stop it".

Looking at my post I had to laugh. Should have proof read it. It should say Yugos. Which are a bee bred by Honeybee Genetics of California. They are basically a Russian/Carniolan cross. A really nice bee in my opinion. They are very gentle and build really fast. The 4 queens I got were all very black.

I was gonna start with all Russians, my mentor got a couple hives of them and loved them the first year. They explode in the spring when building up, much faster than italians. However, my mentor wound up requeening with italian queens due to the fact that the Russian hives get nearly completely propolized. He told me that he has never had to work so hard on a hive as the Russians. I wound up getting VSH lineage Italians and love them. They are gentle, and for my expectations, produce very well.

We are kind of wanting to requeen 4 hives of ours this fall with something better than the mutts we have. They did make it through the winter ok.. Don't see to have too much trouble with mites.. The hive beetles give them a hard time at times. Some of them are mean, slow to build up and poor honey producer...

I am thinking I would like to try requeening with something better than what I have that would do well in SC zone 7, I think. Kind interested in a Yugo from the sound of it?

I'm a new beek this year and my one hive was a swarm I caught. Since I am in Zone 5a and our winters get cold for extended periods what breed would be good for me. the Russian comment of building up fast in the spring sparked my interest since we don't get much precip after May and its pretty dry until late Sept at which time we can have occasional snow by end of Oct. When I think of Russians I think of fur hats and long wool coats. Seems their bees would dress the same. Any thoughts?