Default queen came, have hanged the cage

So she came and I really looked for any sign of a present queen and for any eggs in the cells and saw neither.

I hanged her between bars and the girls seemed very interested. No one was fanning. I don't know what aggressive bees look like. So if they were trying to kill her..., but they were licking the cage.

any tips? I plan to recheck her status in a couple of days. I wish they had little thumbs so they could give me an up or down gesture.

Default Re: queen came, have hanged the cage

I had the same thing. Had a hive with no queen so when queen came in the mail I hung her between frames. Bees were clinging to the cage and licking. Next day I uncorked her candy end. Four days later I checked, she was out and I found eggs. First time was a success. Don't know if that is exactly a tip but it worked.

I have uncorked already and am hoping for the same results as you. My only consolation in all this is that I provided my area with a strong swarm of Buckfast strain. I went with the Carniolan queen. She is much smaller than my former Buckfast. My curiosity is that my former queen was clipped. Did she regrow these wings? Maybe I didn't provide a swarm, maybe my hive has been queenless and I had lost the population due to a dead queen.

I went with a buckfast as well. Mine was a swarm that I had caught so I never knew for sure what the queen was. This will be my first experience with a buckfast.