Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Migratory Bottoms question

Hi all,

We have made a lot of migratory bottoms over the years. We've never made them/shipped them with entrance reducers. Do any of you that use migratory bottoms out there use an entrance reducer?

Thanks in advance,

Rick
    Western Bee

Default Re: Migratory Bottoms question

I haven't used entrance reducers in years.

I am going to use the entrance reducers you shipped me. I was happy to get them.

I made my own M pallets this year. I just put a 1x2 of various lengths in front in the spring til the hive gets up to speed. Other than winter I do not reduce
    Peter W., Belgrade, MT, Elv. 4420 Zone 4a
    Sheepshank Honey, 4 yrs & 35 hives

Quote Originally Posted by wbee View Post
    Hi all,

We have made a lot of migratory bottoms over the years. We've never made them/shipped them with entrance reducers. Do any of you that use migratory bottoms out there use an entrance reducer?

Thanks in advance,

Rick
    Western Bee
    I make my own, use them all the time.

It would depend on the depth of your rails/entrance. I use a 3/8" high entrance and never use reducers. If I used 3/4" high entrances I might need reducers. Mann Lake supplies a two sided board with a reducer that will fit the deeper side.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    It would depend on the depth of your rails/entrance. I use a 3/8" high entrance and never use reducers. If I used 3/4" high entrances I might need reducers. Mann Lake supplies a two sided board with a reducer that will fit the deeper side.
    We've been making bottom boards longer then m.l. has been around - we do and always have made the reversible bottom as you mention above, but I'm talking specifically about the migratory bottom - and perhaps should have clarified that it is only a 3/8" entrance and is not reversible. We make a ton of these as well.

Yes , on the bottom boards, and clip pallets too. Helps keep the winter winds out, and cuts down a bit on fighting when feeding. May keep a fat mouse out too, but the skinny ones have no problem getting in.

My wife, however thinks they are a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by loggermike View Post

My wife, however thinks they are a waste of time.
    Yours or hers?

Hers ,I think. Reducers are just another tool to have around handy when needed.Or just another piece of bee equipment to get in the way when not needed. Too many moving parts in this business!
    --Mike(who just came in from unloading hives in an alfalfa field and only dumped one hive)

Rick, What entrance reducer are you talking about.? Is it just a 3/8 shim?

--Mike(who just came in from unloading hives in an alfalfa field and only dumped one hive)
    Is that good or bad that only one hive got dumped?

I hate knocking pallets off a semi while unloading them. I always have a spotter on the truck now letting me know when I cant see.

Uneventful is what I shoot for. Have dropped pallets of hives from overloaded Bobcat. Flipped a pallet of hives onto the top of my machine once. I'd just as soon avoid such things. Slow and careful is my method. I have no one to race but the sun.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Annoying. It was the last pallet off the 1 ton , and it meant I had to light a smoker and put on a veil to put them back together. I was going slow and careful, but couldn't see the hole in the 3' tall weeds/grass.I dont have many smooth flat yards. Here in the mountains, everything is sloped , rocky or has holes. Bees get bounced.
    I will never win any speed loading /unloading contest anyway.

So how about those entrance reducers. You guys ever use them or is my wife right (again)?

I built all my pallets to 3/8" tall rim. Newer ones I have built with 1/2" either way I dont use reducers.

Annoying. It was the last pallet off the 1 ton , and it meant I had to light a smoker and put on a veil to put them back together. I was going slow and careful, but couldn't see the hole in the 3' tall weeds/grass.I dont have many smooth flat yards. Here in the mountains, everything is sloped , rocky or has holes. Bees get bounced.
    I will never win any speed loading /unloading contest anyway.

So how about those entrance reducers. You guys ever use them or is my wife right (again)?
    You need to learn that your wife is always right and you need to just accept that.

I will sometimes stuff entrances w/ paper towels or styrofoam if I feel they need to be kept from the possibility of robbing when gathering a semi load, but not very often, not usually.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    You need to learn that your wife is always right and you need to just accept that.
    This lesson unlearned can be very very expensive!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Well she could be right on this one, anyway.
    One thing I have learned is that the more hives you acquire and try to manage, the more one needs to eliminate those things that are not essential. Maybe this is one of those things that should have been left behind . Honestly, I cant see any difference in hives that have them vs hives that dont.

I am not in the same class as you guys, but the two hive pallets I make have 3/4" shims for cleaning the frames with Oxalic Acid Vapor!!

As for the entrance, it is a fixed 5" x 3/4". I guess if need be I can reduce it with blocks of wood if/when robbing happens.

I am trying to cut down on having tons of stuff that I dont need, and if needed can be improvised with something found on site.
    Coyote Creek Bees

Quote Originally Posted by RAK View Post
    Rick, What entrance reducer are you talking about.? Is it just a 3/8 shim?
    Well, that's my point. We've never supplied entrance reducers with migratory bottoms due to the entrance being only 3/8" tall. I had a customer upset with me stating ALL bottoms come with reducers, and since we never have included them with mig. bottoms in 48 years, I was just curious with what others do.

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast