Default New hive, bees building in wrong direction

Hi, I'm brand new to this and after installing what was left of a package of bees (more than half were dead on arrival due to shipping confusion), I have what I believe to be a pretty weak hive. They're foraging and the remaining ones are hard at work, but I'm worried that a) I don't have enough bees in there, b) unsure if the queen is still there or not, and perhaps most importantly, that c) the bees aren't building the comb in the right direction.

They're building sideways perpendicular to the bars, from the side of the hive, instead of parallel from the bars themselves! Is this fixable? Or am I just totally screwed?

Pic is from today... and this is 2+ weeks after installing them.

Default Re: New hive, bees building in wrong direction

Is representative of how many bees are in the hive? Is that all they've built?

2 weeks and that's it? You seriously need to feed them. And scrape that off.

Ok, I just re-read that again just to be sure.

I've reordered your priority list:

B), A), C)..

B) Locate the queen. It's a wash without her.
    A) Feed them a 1:1 syrup.. Have you been feeding them at all?
    C) Not sure how many bars you have that small of a cluster accessible to, but I'd knock them down to 4 bars.

That small, I'd be amazed if they make it.. IF the queen is there, they might. But you'll need to be sure and feed feed feed.

Given their poor numbers and situation, I'd say cross comb is the last thing to worry about.
    Last edited by DarkWolf; 06-21-2013 at 05:52 PM.

This is a good example of why you refuse packages if there is more than an inch of dead bees on the bottom once you accept them they are yours feed the crap out of them now worry about correcting cross comb later if you do have a queen I would feed pollen substitute there aren't many there to forrage

Ditto on checking for the queen, without her that is just a sad bunch of workers doing something with their remaining days. If you have a queen is there a beekeeper near that you know that you could beg or buy a bar of brood with nurse bees on it to boost your numbers?