Hybrid View

Default New Queen Gone Wild??

I recently found supercedure cells in one of my hives, so I took the opportunity to split a couple frames into a nuc. On June 6th, I saw that the queen had emerged from her cell, so I expected to find eggs sometime around today. I took a look today and though I couldn't find the queen, I did find eggs. I'm hoping that my new queen is just eager to lay and still hasn't worked out how to deposit only one egg per cell...

photo (6).jpg

Matt

Default Re: New Queen Gone Wild??

ummmmm, hopefully, but I'd really bet that's laying worker with that many eggs per cell, but it seems early for laying worker to develop too.

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    ummmmm, hopefully, but I'd really bet that's laying worker with that many eggs per cell, but it seems early for laying worker to develop too.
    I've given some thought to that. I have another hive that I may donate a frame of brood from, but I've had trouble finding that one's queen, so I'm a little hesitant until I find her and ensure she isn't on the donated frame. Worst case, I can wait a week and see if these develop into drone cells or worker cells.

I wouldn't worry too much at this point. By the looks of the eggs they are at the bottom of the cell, laying workers tend to lay them on the sides. New queens will sometime be over zealous and lay a few eggs per cell. You are right to give it time, especially if you can't find the queen from the donor hive you were thinking about using. I would think if there are not too many bees in the hive it should be fairly easy to find the queen.
    Your inferiority complex is better than mine.

I've never seen eggs on the sides of cells, even with laying worker. That looks like a laying worker egg pattern to me, I've heard of new queens laying 2-3 eggs per cell but that's not 2-3 eggs per cell. You will know in a week or so anyways, if that all becomes drone brood you got a problem.

You were right on the money, JRG. I did a follow-up inspection yesterday. I didn't find any capped brood cells, but I did find more of the same. 3 whole frames with multiple eggs per cell. I'm not sure if this little split is worth messing with too much, but we added a couple frames of brood and nurse bees from our strongest hive. Each of those frames had eggs, uncapped, and capped brood. I'll try this for a couple weeks, but since the flow is coming to an end here, I think this may be a candidate to recombine. Sorry, no pictures this time since I was so disappointed in what I saw.

Matt