Default supplemental sugar water

We are new beekeepers (3 months) and seem to have a thriving hive. started with 3,000 and our queen and now have about 40,000. We had supplemented with sugar water 1:1 ratio and wanted to know if we need to keep supplementing them. They seem to be finding lots of forage (return to hive with little legs covered with white, yellow and orange pollen). Do not want them to starve but wondered if we should continue with the sugar water. Thanks

Default Re: supplemental sugar water

As long as they are taking the fed keep it on.

if you plan on putting honey supers on at some point to take honey for yourselves, you may want to stop feeding a week or so
    prior to your installing the supers. You don't want the bees making honey in the supers (that you will take) with the sugar syrup
    you're feeding to them.

So you are saying they will stop taking the sugar water when they are foraging sufficiently? I just caught my first swarm for my first hive a week ago and I want to give them every opportunity to make it. I don't plan on harvesting any honey this year as our winters are long and very cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
    As long as they are taking the fed keep it on.

Many hives will stop eating the sugar syrup when a good nectar flow is on. With you being in Cache county you should be starting a good nectar flow by the end of the month. I have some of my bee yards in Summit and Wasatch counties which are similar in elevation to Cache county. The best nectar flows I usually experience are between late June and mid August. If there is a lot of rain then the nectar flows will extend into early September. Good luck with your first hive.

Some will say to feed a new hive , one that has to draw comb out , for the first season ....and take no honey.....if you plan to take some honey, quit feeding them until after you rob them, then feed until winter.....others will say feeding them will make them swarm or induce robbing...I feed and make sure they have room to grow....two deeps for brood ....mediums for supers...works for me......

>...wanted to know if we need to keep supplementing them.

My expereince is, they will backfill the brood nest, the queen will have no where to lay and they will swarm if you keep feeding them.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

See what I mean....m.b. knows more than most of us combined.....that's why I mentioned giving them room and it works for me.... :-) .....

So I am gathering from this and other posts that with my newly hived swarm that is 1 week old and is bringing in pollen that I should limit my feeding or eliminate it entirely? I am going to do my first inspection today. I started with 5 frames of old comb and 4 of new foundation. I'm hoping to see the new frames drawn out and if I do I will add another deep and stop feeding but if I don't should I keep feeding?

We just placed a honey super with 3 frames on top of the hive, so they are doing extremely well. Appears to be lots of brood and honey stores for the winter in the hive. Since we live in Coastal SC, we have very mild winters, so were told it would be ok to take the honey from the additional super we just placed, as long as we leave the brood hive alone. Every bit of the sugar water we give them, they eat. So didn't know if we should stop now or keep giving it to them. We have been having an unusual amount of rain for our region, so I know that this does limit their foraging during the rain.

Welcome to the site!

I'm in the opposite corner of the state and also a newbee. I was instructed to feed until they stopped taking it then when the red maple flow started, the same person advised me to stop feeding. I did and all has been well except I lost one of my queens (4 hives) and ended up combining it with my weakest. It is crazy strong now! Mentor is dropping by this weekend to help me set up a nuc from the combined hive because it now has (2) deeps and (2) mediums. I want to get it back to a single deep topped with mediums. Good luck!

Welcome!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com