Default Queen hatched 10 days ago and ...nothing

I keep checking on new queen in nuc every 3 days and still no signs of laying.

Weather in Ohio had been chilly, then nice, then rainy, then nice....really flukey.

She looks huge, not the same svelte virgin of June 8th.

Are there reasons she is not laying? Is it too late to expect that she will perform at all at this point?

I had 4 queens out on the same day. One nuc totally dissapeared. The other two Just the queen dissapeared..

I had cut out queen cells from one frame I got from a friend, and had used brood comb from a hive that disappeared over the winter.

Is it the weather? the old comb is haunted? It's kinda chilly for June in Ohio? Or she's just kinda slow?

Default Re: Queen hatched 10 days ago and ...nothing

I also live in Ohio and I have some choose words for the weather. I think maybe it is too soon for her to be laying.

It's been a rough year in parts of the country for packages and nucs as far as queens go. Lots of stories (and first hand experience) with queen issues, I'm sure poor mating flights have been part of the issue. I would leave her alone for 10 days (no peeks or checks, try not to check on them so much it does disturb them) and see if she starts laying. After that, you will have to decide if she is laying enough and has a decent pattern (keep in mind she is dealing with pollen and/or honey stores in her way unless they moved it real quick. If you don't like what you see you could always then start thinking about pinching her, just make sure that you have a replacement lined up first.

With our weather my queens have been taking about 15 days to start laying.

I don't usually even look for signs of laying for 10 days after she hatches. I would say that mine average between 8-15 days depending on weather. Even longer if the weather is particularly bad.

One reason is you keep disturbing her every 3 days.... ur supposed to leave them alone for two weeks before checking.

I don't know about it being supposed to, but I agree with JRG that it is a good idea to leave the hive alone for 2 weeks. I sometimes check to see if the queen emerged, but then I try to leave the bees alone also. And the queen guys who have a lot of nucs generally work them about every 14 or 15 days.

10 days is a little early to expect her to start laying, with cool rainy weather she might not have taken her mating flights as quickly as normal. Also, as hard as it is, I let my new nucs sit undisturbed for about 2 weeks, once I verify the queen is hatched. Giver her another week before giving her the tool test.

Due to the cool, rainy spring I ended up with a couple of poorly mated queens that will be replaced after this grafting go 'round.

On my last endeavors, they were up and at it in a week. But it was nice and hot. Then I started the 3 day checks.

I gave them a mega bee patty, in case they didn't like the old pollen, and diluted honey instead of sugar water.

i am starting the other 2 nucs again with young, so will have extra queen cells, in case she never fullfills her womanly duties.

I'l stop checking...even though it is hard,.

I didn't know if she didn't start within a certain time, would she not be able to start.

This hasn't happened in the 5 years I'm been doing this.

if she don't start laying within three weeks from emerging, then you can start to worry.

Ah, I'll give her that.

Is she pissed at me looking at her, or is she not finding something she needs?

That's why I added the pollen patty , in case she felt they wouldn't be looked after once she laid them.

She finally started laying yesterdayon a newer frame of brood comb that I put in friday. The weather is now consistently hot. Whatever did the trick I am relieved, the hive I got her from is awesome.

That's good news, thanks for the update I was wondering how this would turn out.

I never expect to see eggs for two weeks. Sometimes it's three weeks... longer will end up as a drone layer.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have to say, to add to this thread, my mating nucs that had an unsuccessful mated return have developed laying workers faster than I have ever seen this year.

Cool ssmithers, sometimes you just need a little patience. Lauri, I bet the size and amount of brood in a mating nuc has something to do with it. Not a lot of larvae pheremone to suppress to begin with perhaps.

I've only been doing this for 4 years and I never had one wait this long to start laying. What I read, and experienced, was she comes out and takes a week to get acclimated, get mated and start laying. But I never read anything on an upper limit for when to give up on her. I have some more queen cells started and could have put one in , but that window is limited.

Thanks for all your experienced information.

I've had very few start laying within a week of emerging, it's usually 10 days or so, and most times within 14 days. Sometimes it's longer, but when it hits the three week mark and if they are not laying yet, then it's usually laying worker by then.

According to one online calendar generator for queen rearing. You should not even be looking for eggs until 18 days after the queen has emerged. 10 days and she will barely be mated.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

They grow up fast in the inner city.....

Until now