Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Handling Breeder Queens...

I keep my breeders in 5 frame nucs. Most of the time there are only 3 frames drawn out. 2 brood and 1 honey/pollen. As fall time approaches I let them build up a bit and put 5 frames of drawn comb on top some with honey some empty for them to fill. They overwinter like this in 10 frames.

Most times I am only needing 25 to 40 larva from each breeder and have no problem getting this amount the way I have mine set up. If one breeder doesn't have enough larvae I just get it from the next. If I were needing a bunch at a time I would do it exactly like Michael Palmer is doing with an empty comb going in 5 days before graft day. I try to keep the breeders from laying to much so they hopefully last a little longer.

That's the truth Jim. I book on 80, am satisfied with 90, and ecstatic with 100 or more...from128 mating nucs.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    I book on 80, am satisfied with 90, and ecstatic with 100 or more...from128 mating nucs.
    Mr. Palmer, thanks for your input ! Is that hive in the picture a medium or a deep?
    I bet you can't make them fast enough for your own needs and the sales you make.
    How many weeks in the year are you grafting and raising queens?
    Probably off topic by now...but, are you at any time, feeding your breeder hives that have the breeder queens in them? If yes, even during a flow? How about your starters or your finishers?
    I like the idea of collecting and keeping the right comb for the breeder queens to lay in.

Flyer Jim mentions your 8 step program...what is that?

Thanks again everyone!

Out to plant some Q cells in my mating nucs

Mike explains the 8 step program very well in this thread

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-Yard-Rotation

Quote Originally Posted by apis maximus View Post
    Mr. Palmer, thanks for your input ! Is that hive in the picture a medium or a deep?
    I bet you can't make them fast enough for your own needs and the sales you make.
    How many weeks in the year are you grafting and raising queens?
    Probably off topic by now...but, are you at any time, feeding your breeder hives that have the breeder queens in them? If yes, even during a flow? How about your starters or your finishers?
    I like the idea of collecting and keeping the right comb for the breeder queens to lay in.
    The breeder hive has deep frames.

I do pretty well in the numbers. We harvest 128 mating nucs every four days. I keep a minimum of 50 from each catch, often 75. We make nucs from them, so by the middle of July we've made 500. Queens pulled from the over-wintered mating nucs go to requeening production colonies.

I set up my first cell builders on May 5 this year, and will finish catching queen about the first week of August. Total production is about 1200.

My breeder hives are never fed...I give them a frame of honey if there's no flow.

I certainly feed cell builders...you can't raise quality cells without a flow and to insure the flow never stops you feed cell builders. I don't feed the mating nucs unless there's no flow. Then we fill the feeder once.

Thanks again Mr. Palmer for taking your time to reply. Great stuff!

One more question if you don't mind, to help me clarify this in my head...

In a previous thread on cell builders, you have described your method adapted from bro Adam...You stated the following in it:

"On day 11, in the morning, remove the super and cell builder from above the excluder. Rotate the queen-right part 180 degrees and onto the ground...facing backwards. Place a clean bottom board on stand facing original direction. Place the partially filled super on the bottom board and the cell builder on the super."

Does the queen-right part, once rotated 180 degrees backwards, is also slided/moved on the ground from the original location and in its place the future cell builder is placed on the new bottom board?

Once done, the queen-right part of the colony is side by side with the cell builder, or close enough, and facing backwards?

It sounds like it is the case, and all its worker bees will go to the original location where now, the cell builder is located. Right?

Michael Palmer: "Why do I like this method? It's all about the jelly."

Yes indeed! Thank you sir!

The breeder is taken from a production colony in a strong nuc.
    MP, Do you requeen this hive using one from your mating nucs? Curious. Thanks.

I usually let them raise their new queen.

Michael, you said you produce around 1200 queens per summer grafting every 4 days, 128 nucs per round. How many breeders are you grafting from? A different one every graft or multiple per graft.

I graft once per week for 144 nucs per week. I am running 8 cell builders and use 4 different breeders per week. That way when you buy queens they are probably not all sisters.

Johnny
    "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

4 cell builders grafted into every 4 days. Total of 20 cell builders in various stages. Cell builders get used again giving me a batch of cells every 20 days. I use several breeders through the cell building season, grafting from the ones that have larvae of the proper age on grafting day. I write the breeder number on the back of each cage so I can give each beekeeper a mix.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12