Hybrid View

Default EFB or chalk brood ?

my first thought is EFB due to the crusty dead larvae in the bottom of the cells. i tried to get the best pictures i can but its pretty tough. out of all the hives in our home apiary the only ones that have this problem are the ones from the nucs we bought from a commercial supplier. they said out of all the customers this year we are the only ones with a problem. the swarms and cutouts we hived this year are doing incredibly well. i didnt catch any hint of a foul smell in any of the suspicious hives.

what should we do ?

DSCF1819.jpgDSCF1820.jpgDSCF1821.jpgDSCF1822.jpgDSCF1823.jpgDSCF1824.jpgDSCF1825.jpgDSCF1826.jpgDSCF1827.jpgDSCF1828.jpgDSCF1829.jpgDSCF1830.jpgDSCF1831.jpgDSCF1832.jpgDSCF1833.jpg

Default Re: EFB or chalk brood ?

It's hard to tell from the photos. Ones in the bottom row look like laying worker brood pattern, but I'm not sure. If you have Chalk Brood there should be mummys or pellets on the hive floor. Are there?
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

I don't see any obvious signs of chalk brood or EFB. If that is the problem than it is int he very early stages. I think the main issue is the queen. She just has a poor laying pattern. You may want to consider re-queening.

in apeaking with the supplier and him seeing the pictures he said they are starving.

Starving? Looks like it. Didn't think of that.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Quote Originally Posted by tommysnare View Post
    in apeaking with the supplier and him seeing the pictures he said they are starving.
    Once you mentioned that I looked again and see no stores.

hope hes right. i just added one gallon top feeders . ill keep everyone posted. btw the corn fields surrounding our farm is growing soo we are kind of keeping an eye out. soybeans have just started to pop up. hope they dont wipe out our hives !