Hybrid View

Default Introducting a Queen Cell - Do you have to wait?

When putting ripe cells in mating nucs...

Do you have to (or should you) wait 24 hours? Or can you install them as soon as you make up the nuc?
    Do you have to keep ripe cells upright all the time? I swear I've seen guys with just a bunch of them in a cooler on a warm cloth...

I'm supposed to be putting these cells in Wednesday...

Thanks,

Adam

Default Re: Introducting a Queen Cell - Do you have to wait?

I have always added the cell the same day the nucs were made. I usually make the nucs, then remove the bar of ripe cells from the starter/finisher colony and start putting them in. I try to keep cells upright, but if the cells are ready to emerge in 12 to 24 hours the queen's wings should not be damaged by laying the cell on it's side. I try not to jar the cells or allow them to cool.

I put cells in as I make the nucs up. I've done it the other way and made them up the day before, but it's easier to just do everything at once for me. They don't get the chance to get any smart ideas of making their own queen this way.

Yep, put them in at the same time. You can use cell protectors to make sure they don't get torn down or even a roller cage, but then you have to release the virgin after she hatches, easier just to put the cell in. The last few I did, I made the nuc, took it with me to pick up the cells, put all the cells in it, brought them back, and distributed as needed. Cells emerged next day, queens were laying as of yesterday which was day 11 post emergence.

All my nucs are five frame deeps, do you gents like a frame of brood and a frame of honey and pollen or do you like to start with more resources than that?

During a program we were doing for beekeepers 2 weeks ago, we popped queen cells into 4 queenright colonies (one was a 5 frame nuc, 3 were 2 deep 10 frame boxes).

A week later, we couldn't tell what became of the cell in the nuc...it was chewed back to the plastic. Could be because of the smaller space inside the box.

2 of the cells had definitely emerged (hole in the bottom of the cell), and one had definitely been chewed out (big gapeing hole in the side, tip still intact).

...that's with a laying queen in the hive. No cell protector (just pushed the plastic cell cup into some comb half way between the center and sides of the top box).

deknow
    The perils of benefactors; The blessings of parasites; Blindness blindness and sight -Joni Mitchell 'Shadows and Light'