Default 2 New Hives, 7 Week Progress and Questions

Howdy Folks, I am new to this facinating world of beekeeping
    Started with 2 Nucs on 5/8. here are some progress notes and status. Need your thoughts on what I did, what I am seeing and where the hives are today.
    Moved 5 frame nucs into deep hives the next morning after bringing them home, let set a couple days.
    Added hive top feeders.. feeding HBH in Sugar water
    On 5/19, opened hives found queens laying and bees building out comb, rotated outside frame in one, added 2nd deep box and 10 frames to each hive
    Both hives taking 2 quarts of 1:1 every 3-4 days.
    6/15, opened both hives inspect top and bottom boxes, good brood patterns, lots of capped honey (sugar water?) in the outside frames of the upper and lower boxes. However, very little pollen. both brood boxes pretty much full of Brood and honey.
    6/20, both hives taking 2 qts of 1:1 every other day!! I went ahead and placed honey supers to both, not as much to get honey but to get the combs built out for next year. Still feeding with no HBH, straight 1:1 sugar water.
    6/25, supers on both hives have some comb being built out on most of the frames, installed queen excluders on both... added pollen substitute patties. Still feeding 1:1, both hives taking 2 qts in 1 to 2 days.

So, my questions.
    1. Should I be concerned about these hive building out so fast or is this fairly normal?
    2. Low pollen, I started feed pollen subtsitute... good, bad? I want to eventually avoid feeding but trying to get as much comb and brood as possible being the first season
    3. Things I should or should not be doing??

Appreciate any feeback suggestions.

And yes, I tried to peek in on them on a cloudy rainy overcast afternoon and was stung on my finger.. OUCH!! won't do that again.

Default Re: 2 New Hives, 7 Week Progress and Questions

1. Hive build up varies - some fast, some slower (for various reasons). Since I keep a lot of hives in your area, I am concerned by the number of boxes you've dropped on them. I am not trying to be negative here, but just giving you honest feedback - our flow hit in the latter part of May and a bit into June. Something else dribbled in for about 10 days in the middle of June. It's not been a stellar flow and I'd be weary of what you wrote. Why are you feeding with honey supers? If they truly drew out, filled and capped the upper Deep's, you're golden - pull the feed. Do you want to extract honey based on syrup?
    2. Pollen patties in our area, if not done right, are breeding ground for shb. I never ever feed it and my bees do just fine.
    3. You shouldn't be feeding them after they have fully drawn out 2 Deep's. I personally do not believe in pollen substitute - but I know some of my bud's to the west of Richmond do use them. Based on the rest of what you wrote, things look good for you in my opinion.

The only nuc I fed died because of the feeder. (improper usage the first year) I haven't fed since.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Thanks for the replies.. running 2 hives, with 2 deeps each for brood. Then one honey super.... I am not understanding the concern on the number of boxes... 7 to 8 frames in both boxes for both hives is full of brood.. at least it was a couple weeks ago.
    The intention behind the honey super was to get them to start building out comb to get a start on next spring.

Is is normal to see little to no pollen on the frames?

I completely agree with no feeding but seeing the malority suggest feeding the first year until the bees stop taking it.

Trying to find the middle ground and move to not feeding at all.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mandkfarmer View Post
    The intention behind the honey super was to get them to start building out comb to get a start on next spring.
    So you intend to use the syrup in the super for feed next spring? It might be hard to keep track of those frames.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Why keep track. let the bees rob the syrup out of the super this fall and store it empty. You never really want to see pollen in your honey supers. So feeding pollen patties is not a bad thing, just keep in mind they will refuse to use pollen patties when they have pollen coming in. You may see a lack of pollen due the abundance of brood. In fact I wouldn't worry too much about the pollen so long as she is keeping a large brood nest. Obviously if she has plenty of brood they have plenty of pollen, just not much excess.

for the supers and feeding while on, my thought was to rotate frames in/out of the supers just to get comb built out... not really to get or save capped honey/syrup....guess this creates extra work for them..

BMAC, I had not even thought of having lots a brood and little pollen..makes complete sense. I guess those perfect pictures you see of a frames with brood stages, pollen and capped honey laid on them doesn't always happen!!

Thanks I'll do another inspection this weekend and pull the feeder.

Appreciate everyones comments.