Default one strong and one weak hive.

So both the TBH's are doing ok. Altho one is considerably stronger than the other. They've drawn out 16 bars of comb. The brood comb have capped honey along the top and are solid with capped brood. They even have a queen cup! (It appeared empty) The other hive, the 9 bars they have are much lighter, appear to contain less honey, and the laying pattern is much less consistent.

I thought about moving the frame with the queen cup on it over to weak hive. Maybe I can do it early this week before the brood hatches out.

Any advice?

Default Re: one strong and one weak hive.

No advice, I lack experience. But, I do have a question: do you think that the 'weaker' hive is in danger of not building up enough prior to winter, or are you just trying to equalize the two? My two hives (10 frame) are different too, but the 'weaker' one has been steadily catching up.
    Pete. New 2013, 7 hives, zone 6a
    To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous.

switch the locations, the other will gain lots of foragers

Don't use TBH's but with a standard hive you could move a comb of brood across to give the weaker one a boost.

I plan to go out and move the comb with the queen cup on it over. I think that accomplishes two things, it gets the cup out of the strong hive (they can make more) and maybe encourages the weak hive with additional brood that will hatch shortly.

I plan to insert it in between the existing brood combs so it has plenty of warmth and attendants.

I knew I should have done that when i was out there yesterday...just was second guessing myself. I will learn, I'm just new at this.