Default First trap out - advice needed

I'm doing a trap out on a tree that has a very large colony in it. Their entrance is at the base of the tree where it has split going into the ground. The homeowner wants the colony completely gone but does not want the tree cut down. I have never done a trap out, but I took two other beeks from my club with me to set it up. We sealed the entrance and put a screened cone over it with a hive box in front of the cone entrance. The other beek put two frames of drawn comb with nectar and pollen in them into the box. We added 5 frames of foundation for a total of 7 frames in a 10 frame box. This was set up on Friday. Yesterday when I went to check on it (its an hour drive away), the bees had chewed through the thick layer of GreatStuff foam and made a new entrance and were robbing the nectar from the frames. How do I fix this? If I'm not successful with the trap out, the owner will spray to protect his toddlers who play in the yard. Use something else as a sealer? Add a frame of brood? Please help!

Default Re: First trap out - advice needed

Use DuctSeal®

http://www.idealindustries.com/prodD...l1=accessories

Most electrical supply places have it, it's a putty-like compound used to seal the ends of conduits

Bees can't or won't try to chew it away

And yes, a frame of brood will help

I currently have two trap-outs going and have learned that bees consider DuctSeal as delicious as Greatstuff. You have to go heavy-duty...........Steel Wool. Stuff it in with putty knife, screw driver, anything else that works.

Are you using the genuine DuctSeal from IDEAL ?

Some of the imitators don't have the repellant properties of the Real Thing.

silicone calk.

screen

DuctSeal....trade name...DuctSeal. As an electronics technician in the Navy (45 years ago) we use to call it monkeys**t. Sealed around everyplace where a cable went though a bulkhead...inside, outside. The stuff lasts for decades. I still use it on the main service cables when I rewire houses. For trapouts (at least mine) it's a total failure. Anything soft that the bees can get their mandibles into would last. Consider this, anything softer than wood (which they have no problem chewing) they'll get through it .... if they want to. My best successes have been relatively course steelwool. The fine stuff will rust and decay if it gets wet. Sometimes after I stuff the steelwool in I cover it with a couple layers of sheet plastic and duct-tape. Not trying to dispute what other people use, just giving my best advice on what works for me. (Actually learned about steel wool from a local bee keeper with 70 years experience working with the ladies)

hallofbees..... I use 3 mil plastic bags, sold at Lowe's as contractors bags, barrel size. Normally about 20 to a box, but 2 bags will do all the sealing i have ever had to do. I use Gorilla Tape to tape overlaps. It will hold in all weather.

cchoganjr

Clear 100% silicone. Bees can't even begin to chew on it.

I have a trap out going now... in a Chimney... It had a bunch of holes in it and I sealed them up with some masonry patch.. I am using steel wool as a gasket between my box and the Chimney... So something metal the are not gonna chew. I think I would get some screen staple it down to the tree stump real good.. In the stump of the tree some 1/4 stables should never hurt it. Stable it to the tree and the back of your trap.. Once you know they can't get through the screen.. I might would clover it with tar-paper...Of course that what comes to mind as a roofer..

Thanks for all the help so far. I got the hole sealed up good and added a frame of brood. The bees are using the trap now and have started queen cells. Two days now I have watched the screen cone on the tree for 30 minutes and haven't seen any bees exit. The queen is NOT in the trap. How much longer should I leave the trap set up? The owner is going to seal the tree when I remove the trap so I want to get all of the bees possible.

Leave it as long as you can. Time cannot hurt the hive or population at this point. I am picking one up tonight that has been in place for six weeks.