Hybrid View

Default apivar and menthol

can apivar and menthol both be used at the same time

Default Re: apivar and menthol

Well they are two totally different products. Or are you thinking of Api-life-var?

If you are thinking of Apivar, it could be used with menthol, although there would be no point, the Apivar will work fine without menthol. As a general rule with pest control IPM, you use one product targeted at a particular thing, at a time. That's because if you throw everything at them at the same time, when immunity happens you have nothing left.

If you are thinking of Api-life-var and menthol, they are both EO's so no harm in using them together, from an immunity point of view.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 06-17-2013 at 03:58 PM.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Apivar for varroa, menthol for tracheal mites... so I see no reason why not. Although I don't think that tracheal are that big of a deal in tn, or are they?

Jean-Marc

I am following my recommendations from a older bee keeper in my club how ever you are not the first to make the comment that tracheal mites are not a real problem in my area so now what do I do more research and more confusing answers thanks for your input

Essentially the bees in the U.S. adjusted to the tracheal mites and levels are lower than when they first appeared. So a 20-30% tracheal mite infestation level in southern U.S. is not a bid deal. However that same 20-30% infestation level in Canada will assure you of a 20-30% higher loss than normal.

Jean-Marc