Default Girls coming topside

I don't remember this behavior from last year. Lifted up a 1" spacer bar from the end of the hive and 300 or so girls crawled out of the hive and on to the top. Happened every time I shifted a frame. 85*F and humid.
    Have you seen this behavior?-mike

Default Re: Girls coming topside

Last year I didn't but they were weak and the bees I had last year were more docile. This year my bees are a little more defensive and the hive is a lot stronger. They have been coming up every time I open the hive and generally being in the way, then stinging my gloves when I accidentally crush a few. They didn't do it yesterday that bad, but they swarmed in early June and requeened themselves so their numbers are down a little. Both nucs I made don't do that but their numbers are fewer than the main hive.

Behavior? You left a place for them to get out and they did... sounds normal.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

My stronger hTBH often have hundreds or thousands of bees gathered on top of the top bars in hot weather. Sounds pretty normal.

Give them a light puff of smoke. They will put there heads right back down.