Thread: First trap out

Default First trap out

GEDC0034.jpgGEDC0035.jpgGEDC0036.jpgHi everyone, I kept bee's when I was younger (20 yrs ago). My next door neighbor whom I also work with, told me about a swarm that had gotten into his motorhome through the electrical plate. this is my first trap out and it is with new equipment. No drawn combs at all just brand spanking new plasticell. I figure about 3 weeks total for this. Week 1 will be getting the ladies to get used to their new entrance and start drawing comb, week 2 hoping the queen will move in and week 3 closing it up for its new home and removing the old comb out of the motorhome.

Btw; you can smell the honey from 10 ft. away and the surrounding plants are covered with it.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or concerns I would be happy to hear.

Default Re: First trap out

If I were going to remove the old comb from the motorhome, I would do a cutout from the start. In this case you are doing a trapout, and still doing a cutout.

Trapouts are more useful when you just want to take starts from the colony to increase hive count, or add bees to an existing colony, or you can not get to the feral source any other way. A trapout is a lot of work, if you are going to later do a cutout also.

cchoganjr

I would do it like you have it setup. I just did a trap out from a new swarm. The queen came in and has started laying in the new box.

But I wonder what you mean, the plants are covered with it, Honey? or Bees??

The plants are covered with honey, the smell walking up really stirred up good memories.

Quote Originally Posted by nevaar View Post
    The plants are covered with honey, the smell walking up really stirred up good memories.
    WOW how did honey get on the plants,,,or is it leaking from the motor home??

cutouts are easier , three to four hours and you get everything and genetics. a trapout is three to six weeks and you are not guaranteed genetics. at least that is the way it usually works for me

I'm not sure yet. I'll know more in about a week when I open up the interior of the motorhome. It appeared to be getting dropped just before they went into the entrance (I know it's still nector). This behavior leads me to believe it's a full colony and short on space.

Are you going to vacuum the bees when you do the cut out? Do you have frames and rubber bands for the brood? Just checking,,,and if your going to only let the trap set for a week, then why bother.