Default Swarm building comb

I captured a swarm (5-6 lbs) 13 days ago. They have filled two mediums with new comb already. They are running circles around the rest of my hives which hasn't made much comb comparativley. All of these hives are within 20 feet of each other.

Why would this hive make that much more comb in 1/4 of the time?
    All of the hives are queenright.

Default Re: Swarm building comb

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    I captured a swarm (5-6 lbs) 13 days ago. They have filled two mediums with new comb already. They are running circles around the rest of my hives which hasn't made much comb comparativley. All of these hives are within 20 feet of each other.

Why would this hive make that much more comb in 1/4 of the time?
    All of the hives are queenright.
    not sure. but i have a swarm doing the same thing. im gonna be making queens from it real soon hahaha.

swarm captures are great for quick drawing of comb,,the 4 swarms i have captured have been the same for me
    just help them out with some sugar feeding, and they will work hard drawing wax on those frames, they know they must work hard
    winter will be here before you it..

The swarms have one goal once they leave the hive, to find and start a new home, they cant store nectar & pollen and the queen cant lay until there is comb, and they are all full of honey from gorging themselves before they left the hive. I've read, heard and seen with my 2 swarms this year that swarms are comb building machines. I know it sounds kind of obvious once you hear it, but in established hives every bee has one of 10 different jobs.
    My blog and website: FromtheHive.org