Default Homemade Top Bar Hive (TBH) Pollen Trap

Hi all,

My top bar hive (KTBH) has many pollen cells and I wanted to try and make my own homemade pollen trap.
    I have seen another thread on the BeeSource forum (http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...08-pollen-trap) There are some useful pictures there.

My question is, can I put the pollen trap in front of a few of my entrance holes? I have 9 entrance holes (See pic at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/michisunited/9025319465/)

I wanted to make a pollen trap that I can put in front of 8 of the holes. Then 9th hole will then be left for the drones to enter/exit. Is this a good idea?
    I plan to use the coffee metal wire mesh and some kind of box to catch the pollen. Then I will put the pollen trap on the hive for a few hours per week.

Default Re: Homemade Top Bar Hive (TBH) Pollen Trap

Nice pictures. What kind of bees are those. They are very dark. Montyb in marquette

I don't actually know the exact type of bee, except that it is probably an African bee. I know there are different kinds of bees in Kenya, don't know which kind is local to Nairobi which is at an altitude of about 1600 meters.

If I only use the pollen trap a few hours per day and maybe at most once a week, is it still necessary to put in a bigger hole for the drones to enter and leave the hive?