Default lost queen-requeening?

it appears she is gone. I have lots of drone cells and capped honey. I found one queen cell. I ordered a queen today. I plan to see if they attack her through the cage. If they don't, I'll requeen. Should I destroy all the queen cells I find?

Default Re: lost queen-requeening?

if the colony accepts your queen they will tear down the cells.

Yes, destroy the queen cell. Sometimes they decide they want their own blood as a new queen and will kill the new queen you give them. I always make sure of no queen cells when introducing a queen.

I think there is a lot of confusion as to what a virgin queen does and what a laying queen does. A laying queen is not looking for queen cells to destroy. If laying queen destroyed queen cells then supersedures and swarms would never succeed. Virgin queens destroy queen cells. Laying queen also are not looking for queens to kill. If they were again, a supersedure would likely fail. A laying queen is busy laying. That is her job. A virgin is looking for virgin queens to kill--in or out of the cell. The reason you often see a two queen hive is because the virgin isn't the one who kills the laying queen, she just mates and starts laying. The workers are the ones who start to neglect the queen with less pheromones and take care of the one with more pheromones. Since pheromones are directly related to the fecundity of the queen, the younger queen is almost always the one they keep.

So back to this scenario, the likely outcome is that the virgin will emerge and destroy all the other cells. She MIGHT kill the current laying queen, but odds are the workers will dispose of her either by neglect or by regicide.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF