Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: water in honey

Default water in honey

I just did a cutout with some new honey/nectar. the hive was pretty productive for only a week and a half of residence. I crushed/strained and ended up with a somewhat runny couple of quarts of honey-ish nectar. Is it OK to heat it on low to evaporate some H2O? If so, is there a temp threshold so I don't ruin the goodness?

Default Re: water in honey

I don't consume honey from cutouts, you never know who may have sprayed them with what before you got there, just a precaution. Sounds like you have high moisture content in the honey/nectar anyways and there is no practical way to evaporate that much water, just feed it back to the bees. John

I was in contact with the owner from the day the swarm made it's home. No chemicals here, I'm sure of it.

Not worth the trouble. Dump it or feed it to the bees you took from the building.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

honey is the great chief's purest gift. any contamination at all ruins it. why consume garbage,,, you would not dream of eating yogurt with clean pure chicken fat in it would you?

Are you saying feral bees make garbage honey?
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 06-17-2013 at 07:24 PM. Reason: UNQuote

I would feed it back to your bees. And feral bees do not make garbage. I'm just about finished straining honey from a cut out. It will go into my cabinet for my family.

Quote Originally Posted by WilMorris View Post
    Are you saying feral bees make garbage honey?
    It isn't honey.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Gosh. What was I thinking? Thanks old farts for setting me straight.

Why did you Post this Thread? Did you already have your mind set? I guess if you insist on an answer to your question. Heat the nectar/honey to 100 degrees temperature and keep it there until you had reduced the moisture content to 18.5% or a little less. Aren't you smart enough to figure that out yourself? What do you think you will have once you have done so?

> Is it OK to heat it on low to evaporate some H2O?

If you mean heating on the stove that is probably not going to work well. A dehumidifier is a better tool, but only you can decide if you want to go to that effort for a relatively small amount of "honey". Here's a thread on that issue:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...Honey-moisture

Note that feeding it back to the bees does not necessarily mean it is lost to you. The bees may put it back in comb and "dehumidify" it along with the rest of their nectar. Then you can harvest it later.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Spoiling the fun Rader.

Well, Mark, the OP is a fairly new member, joined this May, and I thought he asked a fairly innocuous question. It seemed to me that some of the responses he got were rather harsh.

IMHO there are other, more suitable targets if you want to have some fun.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Not worth the trouble. Dump it or feed it to the bees you took from the building.
    I'm sorry you didn't like the replies. Maybe you should be more specific next time you have a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Well, Mark, the OP is a fairly new member, joined this May, and I thought he asked a fairly innocuous question. It seemed to me that some of the responses he got were rather harsh.
    I was giving my point of view. Was I being harsh by suggesting he dump it or feed it to the bees he took it from? I'm sure he wasn't calling me an old fart. He wouldn't be that disrespectful, would he?

Thumbs down Re: water in honey

Really not nice to ask a question and when you don't get the answer your looking for you call names. Better read the rules of the form before you get kick off.
    Sorry I do have the right answer, but don't want to be call names. Portland nice town, but not always nice people.

Sorry. I guess next time I have a question, I'll remember to Google it first.

Last edited by sqkcrk; 06-17-2013 at 05:26 AM. Reason: explitives deleted

WilMorris, I think for someone to call unripe honey "garbage" was not the best choice of words, but I'm sure they didn't mean it to be taken literally. I've tasted unripe honey from my hives lots of times, and it tastes pretty darn good, but yes it is "runny" and not fully ripe, and when ripened it tastes even better. I have not had to remove or evaporate more than a couple percent of moisture from harvested honey ever, and I do it by blowing warm dry air over the combs for a time, maybe as much as a couple days. In your case, its already in jars, so getting the moisure reduced won't be as easy but I'm sure it can be done, maybe someone can give you an answer without being sarcastic about it. This is a great forum IMO, don't get the wrong idea that its not, plenty of people willing to give help here, just stay away from the name calling when you don't get the exact answer you were looking for, someone will eventually hit the nail on the head for you. John

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I'm sorry you didn't like the replies. Maybe you should be more specific next time you have a question.
    Mark , I think he was specific enough with his original post to get some better answers than what he got. John

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast