Default American Foulbrood Diagnosed

I started a thread several days ago in the main forum about what I suspected was AFB.

I am posting some pictures I took of the symptoms and the burning of the hives. The Holst milk test did not show positive, but I live in Spain and the dry skim milk here is enriched for children and the liquid milk is ultra pasturized - it is not kept refrigerated - so I am not convinced that those factors might not affect the outcome of the test. In any event, Dave Cushman's page that Michael Bush directed me to said that the test is not always correct.

Since the visual symptoms (and smell) were all the classic ones usually described and I could not find refernce to another disease those so closely replicated them, I decide to burn the three affected hives.

I currently have one hive left which for the moment appears to be clear. I decided not to treat since someone posted in another thread that they decided not to treat so as not to merely mask a potential infection. The logic seemed sound - I would rather know now rather than find out later (when I have new colonies nearby) that the remainining hive is in fact infrected.

Thanks to everyone who helped out and gave advice. I am not throwing in the towel - I will look at it as a learning experience. Am looking forward to building about ten swarm traps now and putting them out this week.

Pics:

Default Re: American Foulbrood Diagnosed

Bummer loosing your last hive. But it looks like you made the right call. Did you start with old equipment, or do you think it came from a hive in the area?

Good luck on rebuilding your hives back up!

Default Re: American Foulbrood Diagnosed

Quote Originally Posted by CLICKBANGBANG View Post
    Bummer loosing your last hive. But it looks like you made the right call. Did you start with old equipment, or do you think it came from a hive in the area?

Good luck on rebuilding your hives back up!
    No, I still have the last of four - burned three. Will keep a close eye on the last one but for now it is strong (small, trapped swarm, but growing fast).

I did have some old equipment from gifted from a neighbor when he left the area. There are also many old abandoned hives in the area - the young people are not taking up beekeeping and the old people are just leaving everything out there. I also brought two swarms from other areas - so who knows where it came from. I burned all the used equipment just to be on the safe side - except for that housing the one healthy colony. I think it is safe to assume that that equipment is not the source - since it would seem unlikely that it infected OTHER colonies but not the one housed in it.

Thanks for the good wishes - I am impatient now to get back on my feet. : )